Security Installer Community

Hard Drive To Use With Dvr

starsatuk

Hi,

can i use any hard drive with any DVR is there a type of Hard drive i have to use with certain DVR's if someone can give me some information over this it will help alot as i dont wana try and damaged anything?

Try the one that came with it.

Try the one that came with it.

:roflmao:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Yo need to use a hard disk designed for a longer duty cycle than the standard 20-30% normally associated with PC's.

for a starter, see : Seagate HDD designed for Video Surveillance

If you use a standard hdd, it may fail sooner than you think.

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

I would have thought that the answer would be, 'it depends on what DVR you have.'

I'm under the impression that the majority of DVRs, have their operating software on a rom chip. So the hard drive is used exclusively for storing images. In that sense, I would presume the hard drive could easily be swapped for a replacement one.

On the otherhand, there are some DVR's out there that store their operating software within a small partition on the hard drive. Similar to PC's that have Windows XP pre-installed and come with recovery disks rather than a legitimate disk of Windows XP. I'm under the impression that DM Sprites source information from the primary drive on boot-up. The 'bootloader' as the Sprite calls it.

I'm sure someone will put me right if I'm mis-informed. :)

ACE.gif

Archived