Security Installer Community

REadings on commisioning a system (newbie advice!)

jonnyboy

This is something I'm just starting to get into at the moment. I'm new to multimeters too whioch is confusing me lol

The bits I'm finding hard to get my head round is testing current. I can test charge current and discharge current but when it comes to full load current my meter only ever reads about 65.1 when I know it should be more like 651 but I have tried all the different range of settings with no success :(

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Other than that I'm getting into it now (been in the gam about 5 months now:))

Guest Adrian

B) Hi johnyboy

Well everything depends on what type of multimeter you have.

Here is a site well worth a visit "www.actmeters.com" They deal with everthing to do with alarm testing and false alarms. They have info on taking current readings and all sort of other things.

Hope it helps

Adrian B)

What make of multimeter are you using ?

Sounds as though you may need to move the positive lead over to another terminal (its normally marked 10A). The standard current terminal will normally only read upto 300mA and is protected by a 300mA fuse, sounds as if that has blown at some time and someones replaced it with a fuse of higher value, thus allowing the standard 300mA terminal to read over its cut off range (but obviously not correctly) .

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

My meter is great. It was only 56 quid from Maplins but when you look inside its all Fluke components. Its got auto ranging which makes life so much easier. The only problem is that the range makes resistance readings in k/ohms drop from 3 decimal places to 2 decimal places above 4k.

Nacoss ask that commissioning readings for FSL circuits are given to 3 decimal places. Therefore, if commissioning panels such as Gardtec 591, 800 series etc I just add a random digit.

Its OK with Scantronics and GAlaxy though. ACT do a meter that is for alarm engineers with a massive 5 digit readout, but its a bit pricy.

Does anyone know of a good meter that would give 3 decimal places up to say 8k but for a fair price?

Service Engineer

My opinions may not reflect those of my employer, managers, colleagues, customers, friends, family or pet rabbit.

I didnt say it was your meter I mearly asked if it was simillar to the one in the picture with the leads attached to the meter.

What DC Amp ranges are available on your meter ?

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived