Security Installer Community

Security Of Network And Port Forwarding To Dm Dvr

zs123

Hi all,

Im soon to get a DM D4 and i would like to view it remotely, from reading the manual it appears i will need a static IP and to use port forwarding. I understand i will have to open up port 8234 on the firewall router. I have read about this causing security issues ie unauthroised acces to home network.

can anyone advise on this or point me in the right direction of somewhere i can read up on how to set up a secure system to enable remote viewing of the DVR.

realise this is more netwroks orientated than CCTV itself but was hoping someone had experience of doing this

thanks!

Hi all,

Im soon to get a DM D4 and i would like to view it remotely, from reading the manual it appears i will need a static IP and to use port forwarding. I understand i will have to open up port 8234 on the firewall router. I have read about this causing security issues ie unauthroised acces to home network.

can anyone advise on this or point me in the right direction of somewhere i can read up on how to set up a secure system to enable remote viewing of the DVR.

realise this is more netwroks orientated than CCTV itself but was hoping someone had experience of doing this

thanks!

I have used the DS2 which may use the same software (network viewer).

The first thing is that DVR has user names and passwords to gain access.

Someone would have to know your internet IP address and that you had a DM DVR connected to the network.

Then they would have to get your user name and password.

Also I think you may need more than one port opening.

The DS2 needs 8234 to 8238

You don't just 'open' a port - you forward it to the IP of the DVR.

That 'open' port can then not be used to access anything on the network other than the DVR.

A static IP would be easiest, but a dynamic IP is also fine. You then use a service like dyndns.org, and put the neccessary settings into your router to keep the dyndns hostname updated with your changes of IP.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

You don't just 'open' a port - you forward it to the IP of the DVR.

That 'open' port can then not be used to access anything on the network other than the DVR.

A static IP would be easiest, but a dynamic IP is also fine. You then use a service like dyndns.org, and put the neccessary settings into your router to keep the dyndns hostname updated with your changes of IP.

Ive never had much luck with the dynamic ip addresses asn it works fine for a few days then when the isp changes the wan address everything goes belly up. We make sure that before a dvr is fitted thats going on a network they have a static ip address just to remove any additional problems. Theres a few dvr's that arent able to aquire an ip address from a router even though they say they will lol

I has DYNDNS is use on several sites, and the database is always updated.

You need to ensure you put the details correctly into the router for the update, and test them.

You can also put dyndns software onto a server or computer that is on 24/7 if the router does not have provisions to include dyndns update info.

I would always prefer a static IP, and use these on my office and our satalite office locations. However, when you are forced to use ADSL that is already in situ, chances are it will dynamic.

Never had a problem once correctly configured.

As for the DVR grabbing an IP from the router - you should not let it do this, as you need to port forward to a known IP. Set a static IP in the DVR, and then prevent the router from dishing this IP out to other devices. Depends on the router how you do this - address reservations, mac binding etc.

I has DYNDNS is use on several sites, and the database is always updated.

You need to ensure you put the details correctly into the router for the update, and test them.

You can also put dyndns software onto a server or computer that is on 24/7 if the router does not have provisions to include dyndns update info.

I would always prefer a static IP, and use these on my office and our satalite office locations. However, when you are forced to use ADSL that is already in situ, chances are it will dynamic.

Never had a problem once correctly configured.

As for the DVR grabbing an IP from the router - you should not let it do this, as you need to port forward to a known IP. Set a static IP in the DVR, and then prevent the router from dishing this IP out to other devices. Depends on the router how you do this - address reservations, mac binding etc.

My router has an option to enter in a service like dyndns, you put in your domain name, and the user account details asscociated with that name, and whenever the router picks up a new IP address, it automatically updates that service for you using the account details you specified. So all you do is specify a static address internally.

The DS2a uses 8234 for viewing and 8235 for admin. Be aware, the network/web viewer uses BASIC AUTHENTICATION over the Internet only!!

would the bthomehub have the facility to use dyndns?

so to sumarise does it leave vunerabilities on your network by using the D4 over the internet, by basic authentication i take it there must be some vulnerability?

would the bthomehub have the facility to use dyndns?

so to sumarise does it leave vunerabilities on your network by using the D4 over the internet, by basic authentication i take it there must be some vulnerability?

Vulnerability? To security of images yes, to the network no.

I have only snagged around the BT home hub, not really got deeply envolved in one. Most routers will do this for you, not sure on the BT one - Would not take long to run through the settings and find out ;-)

right ive now setup dyndns and put the settings in the router. thing is when i enter the hostname into internet explorer it displays my router homepage (obviously a bit concerning!) once i have the dvr and configure port forwarding when entering the hostname will it go straight to the dvr or have i set somwthing up wrong for it to goto router homepage?

thanks for any help anyone can give

Archived