Security Installer Community

Aluminium conduit

Just a quick one, we install a lot of beams to exteriors, is there an easier way rather than use aluminium??

Does direct burial cable conform to the relevant standards as never used it my self??

Anyone got any tips for external cabling???

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

PVC conduit is much more professional than alumium pipe.

Direct burial cable is, as far as i am aware fine provided you follow the depth of burial recommendations.

And i agree with Colin.......get someone else to do the digging! :lol:

I wouldn't say that ega tubing is any more professional but there is a definite art to working with aluminium pipe.

I've spent many a day "warming up" aluminium pipe in a spanking the monkey kind of way before bending it round my knee to form a kink.

In recent years my Initial branch has stopped using aluminium pipe in favour of ega tubing. I find it both easier to work with plus alot cleaner too.

Maybe this is what ian.cant.do-fashion aluminium pipe !!!! ;):P:D

UTC - The dawn of a new era !

I would fully agree plastic conduit is much better to work with and add cables to but you must have to tamper the lids on elbows and lids etc. of the take overs that i have come across no one has.

I thought you had to use aluminium to conform to the BS?

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

I got caught out one Saturday many years ago and due to the suppliers being closed, i had to improvise at a flat I was installing at. The local B&Q stocked plenty of coated aluminium shower rail. It bent quite well with the conduit bending springs and even now, several years later, it still looks shiny as new. Obviously not very cost effective but the job was complete and the cable protected.

Tony

ACE.gif

In quiet a few circumstances we use 7 core x 1.5mm armoured cable

It makes a suberb job and no problem with volt drop

Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

Archived