Security Installer Community

Driving Time Limits On Call

Sorry folks if this topic has allready been covered, but my question is this .

All the engineers at our place are expected to take part in an on call rota , fair enough it goes with the territory and we all know the pay is diabolical considering the anti social aspect of it all .

However i often wonder about the legality of driving around in the middle of the night whilst completely knackered.

Our company do a mid week rota and a weekend rota , and you are still expected to work your normal hours as well , so picture this scenario... Monday 08.30- 5.00pm , then on call from 5.01-08.29am Tuesday, Tuesday 08.30- 5.00pm, then on call from 5.01- 08.29 Weds, Weds 08.30- 5.00pm , then 5.01-08.29 Thursday. Thursday 08.30 - 5.00pm , 5.01-08.29 am Friday.

The weekend rota is the same idea except you are not actually working during the day unless being called out,

We deal with several Police authorities , Prisons ,and hospitals which require immediate response, and i often wonder what is the legal limit as to exactly how many hours you can work , and how much you can drive, potentialy you can see from the above that you could in theory be working non stop from first thing Monday am to last thing Thursday pm.

Sure that has never happened to me , but it could potentially and i don't want to be the next person to fall asleep at the wheel , with all the disasterous results that could follow.

I love my job , but my company really don't seem to give a S****

Any body got any comments?

PS Im on call at the moment and had 7 jobs since Monday!"

At our place were told we can only do a 14 hour shift.

That 14 hours starts at 08:30 when we start in the morning, were home at 17:30 - so that's allready 9 hours done.

Meaning we can work another 5 hours including travel before our shift ends.

I can refuse to attend any callout after those 14 hours are completed.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

That's interesting..

The Working Time Regulations came into force in October 1998.

The basic rights and protections that the Regulations provide are:

a limit of an average of 48 hours a week which a worker can be required to work (though workers can choose to work more if they want to).

a limit of an average of 8 hours work in 24 which nightworkers can be required to work.

a right for night workers to receive free health assessments.

a right to 11 hours rest a day.

a right to a day off each week.

a right to an in-work rest break if the working day is longer than 6 hours.

a right to 4 weeks paid leave per year.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

remember on the 1st two points it's the average but I'm not sure how many days the average is taken over it could be 30, 60, 90 days etc so you can still do 72+hr weeks legally.

And the whole system is opt out at emplyees choice too.

Guest anguscanplay

most reasonable firms will have some form of "self check..." to prevent this from happening I`m sure.

i need to get me some staff - I`ve just done 408 days on call without a break LOL

most reasonable firms will have some form of "self check..." to prevent this from happening I`m sure.

i need to get me some staff - I`ve just done 408 days on call without a break LOL

Do you want me to do this weekend for you mate?

On second thoughts you know what my GPS is like... Can I get paid for travel time :whistle:

Never Teach Your Apprentice Everything You Know

the usual gripes of we work in security but don't really want to be put out by doing any antisocial hours..........

or any of that dirty installing stuff TBH, in fact if the office could just supply a shiney new car a few easy maintance calls, but only between 10am & 3pm a right short pair of ladder due to H&S requirements, then I can can do me own bits & bobs cash in hand, cut the grass, do the house up whilst on the pay roll & complian I'am badly done to :rolleyes:

De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da. De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da

Archived