Security Installer Community

Another Access Control Question!

daubs8

I am adding doors to an existing cardkey access control system. The supplier recommends purple data 'tubing' cable for the data. Is there really that much difference between that and ordinary cat5?? I only ask cos I have a few thousand metres spare of cat5 ?! Any comments? Ta!

I am adding doors to an existing cardkey access control system. The supplier recommends purple data 'tubing' cable for the data. Is there really that much difference between that and ordinary cat5?? I only ask cos I have a few thousand metres spare of cat5 ?! Any comments? Ta!

Ah, the old 'purple pipe'.

Ultimately, it is one of those risky decisions we all make.

Once upon a time it had to be Belden (still does for some). Then Cat5 'may be' useable in some areas, but at your risk. now, we just bang cat5 in.

Is there a chance you can try one door on cat to test?

Not really. They are supplying all the equipment ( wish I had used a different system ) including cable, but I wanted to cable it in the next couple of days with cat5 then cancel the purple stuff!

whats the difference`s ... ?

Some systems can be really sensitive regarding the cable.

Northern computers and Bewator are usual suspects.

You can often get away with cat5 but always a risk when going against manufacturers advice.

Some systems can be really sensitive regarding the cable.

Northern computers and Bewator are usual suspects.

You can often get away with cat5 but always a risk when going against manufacturers advice.

Yep, and thats my problem! Ah well, better just go with it on this occasion, thanks. Would be nice to know the difference though??

I do believe the 'purple stuff' is LSF. We install a lot of Cotag kit and we normally use Belden 8723 for data and normal alarm cable for the lock/PTE and if its specified for LSF then we use the 'purple stuff'.

Kev

Is LSF not just low smoke and fume sheathing? nothing to do with the actual cables?

i dont actualy know though.

Is LSF not just low smoke and fume sheathing? nothing to do with the actual cables?

i dont actualy know though.

Yes thats my understanding too! If thats the case then i'll be fitting cat5!! :) And... I have miles of Belden 8723 spare too!

Yes thats my understanding too! If thats the case then i'll be fitting cat5!! :) And... I have miles of Belden 8723 spare too!

Should be ok, distance is one to watch though.

Archived