Security Installer Community

Another Access Control Question!

daubs8

Should be ok, distance is one to watch though.

I was under the impression you should be fitting LSF (or LS0H) sheathed cable for all internal applications.

Otherwise you could be liable in the event of a fire. (Fire regs)

Ilkie

nicely led but its the wiring regs (7671) not alarm regs and yes they do, much like other things in a building that do.

Anyone know if a smoke head is lsf, or a sounder or an emergency light, or any light fitting, socket etc etc

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

The northern computers cable can be run longer than any other cable on there systems and if you use there spec of cable and you have a problem with your system they will send out the tech guys to have a look but if you use other spec of cable they dont want to know.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

The northern computers cable can be run longer than any other cable on there systems and if you use there spec of cable and you have a problem with your system they will send out the tech guys to have a look but if you use other spec of cable they dont want to know.

lee

Yeah, right.

But as i said, it's the same with all manufacturers, if you go against their advice, your problem. Not theirs.

Yeah, right.

But as i said, it's the same with all manufacturers, if you go against their advice, your problem. Not theirs.

I did an installation with 30 doors in warwick used all the specked cable and we had a problem and robin from northern came out as we exhausted all what we could do over the phone and he traced it back to a bug in the software and a faulty reader board, respect to northern as they did come to site but i dont know the procedure since the honeywell takeover.

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

I did an installation with 30 doors in warwick used all the specked cable and we had a problem and robin from northern came out as we exhausted all what we could do over the phone and he traced it back to a bug in the software and a faulty reader board, respect to northern as they did come to site but i dont know the procedure since the honeywell takeover.

lee

Bet that came as a total surprise to them. :whistle:

As far as I am aware, CAT5 or any of the category data cables that is a colour other than white or grey is LSF (Low Smoke and Fume) or LSZH/LS0H (Low Smoke and Zero Halogen). These types of cables are usually installed where people work or possible contact with people. The colour of the sheath has no effect on the transmission path of data. The reason why LSF or LSZH is used is that in the case of a fire, the shealth does not give off deadly fumes when burning.

With regard to using CAT5, CAT6 against Belden 8723, take a look at a few differences.

CAT5, CAT6 (4 pair twisted. Unshielded Twisted Pair - UTP). Normally a box of CAT5 is between

Kind regards

Stuart Onley

SAMS Consultancy

Independent Security Consultants

email:enquiries@samsconsultancy.co.uk

Archived