Security Installer Community

Recommendation Requested For Home Intruder Alarm

JeremyP

Thanks very much for the advice and the installer listings. I'm sure I'll be back with some more questions once I've got some quotes!

cheers

J

mind we do not do loans :banned: yet that is.....

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Hi Jeremy.

It might be worth having 3 or 4 approved (NSI or SSAIB approval schemes) alarm companies around to give you a quote for a system. They will conduct a survey and risk assesment of your property and design a system to suit your needs. Then you could perhaps come back here with details of the equipment they specify and we could offer our opinions on the different quotations. Every installer has their favourite detector/panel etc, and what may suit one property may not necessarily suit another.

Thanks very much for that suggestion. I'll be back!

hi m8

i would use either texecom or galaxy, but i would steer towards texecom more. i would go for a premier 24, that way you could use 12v smoke and heat detectors aswell for added protection. make sure you have 2 live bell boxes, 1 front and the other at the back. you can get an additional communicator so it will dial out of your landline. if you wanted to spend the extra, you can get flush wall mounted keypads aswell so they sit right flush on the wall. if you want any more info send me a message..

domiinic

cheers m8. Really helpful pointers. Someone else has recommended the texecom premier 24 so I'm checking that out. Thanks again.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions. Been really helpful and lots of food for thought. Btw someone mentioned Menvier to me as being high quality equipment but I don't see them mentioned much. Any views?

Guest anguscanplay

at the end it will come down to the installer - choose them before deciding your only going to look at one or two makes of equipment

Make sure when your getting quotes to ask if the equipment can be maintained by other companies. Alot of the nationals tend to install their own equipment, so if you decide sometime down the line that your not happy with the service and want to change companies its becomes difficult, or costs you more money.

Personally, I would go with the Galaxy, if Carlsberg made alarm panels then it would probably be a Galaxy ;)

Make sure when your getting quotes to ask if the equipment can be maintained by other companies. Alot of the nationals tend to install their own equipment, so if you decide sometime down the line that your not happy with the service and want to change companies its becomes difficult, or costs you more money.

Personally, I would go with the Galaxy, if Carlsberg made alarm panels then it would probably be a Galaxy ;)

Thanks for responding. I have been avoiding the nationals, partly because I suspected I'd get 'trapped', so your confirmation on that point is very interesting. In terms of equipment, the jury's still out but it looks like a head-to-head between Galaxy and Texecom (with Menvier and Scantronic lurking in the background). Any comments on those others by comparison with the Carlsberg option?

One thing to note: Menvier is part of the Cooper Group which also makes Scantronic. I've used scantronic 8136's, a bit old now but rock solid, had the sales guy in from them the other week system looked really easy to set up menu layout was very familar since I've used them before, best feature (not sure which panels it's available on) was the direct to laptop USB link. Run the software transfered very fast compared to some that use the Serial port or where you have to use some form of convertor this was standard USB A-B lead, software really nice to etc..

I even had a 8136 totally bomb out on me with an NVM error once, reset it, reprogrammed it via the keypad and it's been working fine ever since.

Menvier can't say much about not really used them but they are good or bad depends on who you speak with some people like them some don't, just like some people rave about Galaxy panels and others about the Texecom range.

I say for ease of programming them without any of the software

I'd put it as Texecom , Scantronic, Menvier then Galaxy, going by what I've read here and what I've used. I'd say gardtec but well they have a unique menu system that can be confusing to say the least

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

One thing to note: Menvier is part of the Cooper Group which also makes Scantronic. I've used scantronic 8136's, a bit old now but rock solid, had the sales guy in from them the other week system looked really easy to set up menu layout was very familar since I've used them before, best feature (not sure which panels it's available on) was the direct to laptop USB link. Run the software transfered very fast compared to some that use the Serial port or where you have to use some form of convertor this was standard USB A-B lead, software really nice to etc..

I even had a 8136 totally bomb out on me with an NVM error once, reset it, reprogrammed it via the keypad and it's been working fine ever since.

Menvier can't say much about not really used them but they are good or bad depends on who you speak with some people like them some don't, just like some people rave about Galaxy panels and others about the Texecom range.

I say for ease of programming them without any of the software

I'd put it as Texecom , Scantronic, Menvier then Galaxy, going by what I've read here and what I've used. I'd say gardtec but well they have a unique menu system that can be confusing to say the least

Thanks for the really helpful input. Think I may be closing in on Texecom.

Thanks for responding. I have been avoiding the nationals, partly because I suspected I'd get 'trapped', so your confirmation on that point is very interesting. In terms of equipment, the jury's still out but it looks like a head-to-head between Galaxy and Texecom (with Menvier and Scantronic lurking in the background). Any comments on those others by comparison with the Carlsberg option?

Scantronic.

If they made beer you could get drunk on it.

Scantronic.

If they made beer you could get drunk on it.

and if they made beans...........................................phewee!, smelly sirens would be all the rage

:lol:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived