Security Installer Community

Replacement Camera

Stopsurge

Anyone know the whereabouts of Frowds Ltd, or Vision Research Company?

Looking for a replacement Camera, Surveyor V2, TL 1876-200.

Chris

Apologies Chris, but I actually had to read your post twice because I thought I'd misread it the first time :lol:

As far as my memory will allow, I think the Frowds Surveyor II camera ceased production around the middle to end of the 1980's.

It's a 1" format tubed camera, which I think was replaced by the Surveyor III :unsure:

If the actual camera itself is still in working order, you may be able to bring the picture back by 'tickling' the circuits, although I'm guessing there's not many left in the biz. now who would now how to do it; and before you ask, yes I do, but I haven't in ages ;) If the tube is shot, then you are just not going to easily find a replacement part - electromagnetic tubes ceased production within a few years of viable CCD imagers being introduced.

Actually, I think I've still got the brochure for the Surveyor somewhere in my archives, but it would probably take me another twenty years just to find it.

As for VRC, I was under the impression they stopped production quite a few years back; hopefully others may know more.

With regards to replacing the Surveyor II, it is really a museum piece by modern standards so you could if you wish look at any one of dozens of alternatives, that would far outperform it both in terms of overall resolution, sensitivity and noise levels.

BTW, welcome to the forum :)

Apologies Chris, but I actually had to read your post twice because I thought I'd misread it the first time :lol:

As far as my memory will allow, I think the Frowds Surveyor II camera ceased production around the middle to end of the 1980's.

It's a 1" format tubed camera, which I think was replaced by the Surveyor III :unsure:

If the actual camera itself is still in working order, you may be able to bring the picture back by 'tickling' the circuits, although I'm guessing there's not many left in the biz. now who would now how to do it; and before you ask, yes I do, but I haven't in ages ;) If the tube is shot, then you are just not going to easily find a replacement part - electromagnetic tubes ceased production within a few years of viable CCD imagers being introduced.

Actually, I think I've still got the brochure for the Surveyor somewhere in my archives, but it would probably take me another twenty years just to find it.

As for VRC, I was under the impression they stopped production quite a few years back; hopefully others may know more.

With regards to replacing the Surveyor II, it is really a museum piece by modern standards so you could if you wish look at any one of dozens of alternatives, that would far outperform it both in terms of overall resolution, sensitivity and noise levels.

Eh?

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

something i have heard before about tubes. God knows what it is, i thought all you could do with a tube is warm it up if the heater element was us. But I have never even seen a tube camera professionally

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

something i have heard before about tubes. God knows what it is, i thought all you could do with a tube is warm it up if the heater element was us. But I have never even seen a tube camera professionally

If you want to know what a 'tube' looks like after it's been removed from it's scan coil, you'll find a photo on this page, although you'll have to forgive me the fact that the page hasn't been updated in years.

There are actually three main 'pots' which control a tubes' operation, and as they wear with use and age, adjusting the 'Beam', 'Target' and 'Focus' variable resistors, can bring back a very acceptable image, if done correctly (and if the tube hasn't given up the ghost).

Crazy as this may sound, I'm actually going to tweak an old TOA line powered Vidicon tubed camera next week, which has drifted a bit with this scorching summer we've been having :lol:

The unit is probably around 16 years old, but barring any component failures will probably still be working in three or four years time.

As to why do I bother .... well it reminds me about when I was on the tools all those years ago, and perhaps more importantly .... it's fun!! How sad is that ....

mid to late nineties as far as I remember.

I might know someone who was involved with them in the old analogue mux days if that helps!

Ilkie

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I've been unable to get any further data on the Frowd Surveyor II, and wondered if you knew what tube was used in it? I have found various suppliers of 1" Camera Tubes and am hoping I can retube the camera.

Chris

I would just buy a new replacement camera, a modern decent camera should be a big improvement anyways... Unless it has some sentimental value, or there is a specific reason for having to have that specific cam... The cost of repairing that one, even if you can find someone to supply the parts would cost more than a new camera I would imagine.

I would just buy a new replacement camera, a modern decent camera should be a big improvement anyways... Unless it has some sentimental value, or there is a specific reason for having to have that specific cam... The cost of repairing that one, even if you can find someone to supply the parts would cost more than a new camera I would imagine.

Depends Ken. Granted you could buy a cheap camera, but not a decent one for the same sort of cost. A proper cam to compete with a tube could well be

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I've been unable to get any further data on the Frowd Surveyor II, and wondered if you knew what tube was used in it? I have found various suppliers of 1" Camera Tubes and am hoping I can retube the camera.

Chris

Hi Chris,

It's not possible to say which tube you have, as the camera was originally available with a number of tube options, including standard Vidicon, Newvicon, Silicon Vidicon, and I think there was also a cripplingly expensive intensified version available as well.

The only way to be sure, would be to remove the existing tube and read the type number printed on it. TBH, I personally wouldn't remove the tube until after an attempt had been made to adjust the driving circuits. If that brings the picture back, then you may not need to replace the tube just yet.

I've got a vague recollection that it was originally designed and built by EMI, and later taken up by Frowds, but time does play tricks with the memory so I could be wrong. I'll have a look over the weekend to see if I can find any more detailed information on the camera.

Cost wise, I would have to agree with what's already been said. Apart from a sentimental or historical reason to keep it going, it is an inescapable fact that a decent modern 1/3" CCD would outperform the Vidicon varient, and a 1/2" high end CCD camera would significantly outperform the high sensitivity tubes; and given the units age, if you spend a lot on getting it going again, there's no guarantee that other problems won't occur soon after, and there's not that many people around that would be comfortable working on an old classic beast of a camera.

Just as a final word of caution; if you've managed to locate a supplier for tubes, be aware that even if they are new but old stock, the chemical layers in the tubes do degrade with age, even if they are not being used.

Archived