Security Installer Community

Help Required With Cctv Install

mitsifto123

Hi Guys,

My company has been approached by a local company asking to put forward a quotation on a new development site which requires CCTV.

Basically we just need to clarify a few things up and was after some advice and guidance please. Please also see the attached site plan, i have placed blue sqaures to show possible fixed camera locations and red squares to show PTZ cameras on existing lighting poles.

The site is a privately owned village which requires CCTV to cover main areas of the houses back & front. My questions are mainly to do with the wiring back to the security office (as seen on the attached site plan).

Questions as follows;

1) would amoured rg59 be suffient for this or would we be better running fibre?

2) The site has street lighting , could the exisiting ducts be used to feed back to the security office? any recomendations on how to wire back to the security office from each camera. Can't seem to get my head around it TBH!!

3) Powering the cameras - could i take a local feed from the street lighting?

4) what would you guys do on this type of job, we are slowly expanding our business so your help is much appricated.

Thanks in advance

post-18143-1220106405_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys,

My company has been approached by a local company asking to put forward a quotation on a new development site which requires CCTV.

Basically we just need to clarify a few things up and was after some advice and guidance please. Please also see the attached site plan, i have placed blue sqaures to show possible fixed camera locations and red squares to show PTZ cameras on existing lighting poles.

The site is a privately owned village which requires CCTV to cover main areas of the houses back & front. My questions are mainly to do with the wiring back to the security office (as seen on the attached site plan).

Questions as follows;

1) would amoured rg59 be suffient for this or would we be better running fibre?I would run direct burial Cat5

2) The site has street lighting , could the exisiting ducts be used to feed back to the security office? any recomendations on how to wire back to the security office from each camera. Can't seem to get my head around it TBH!! Nope, run in seperate ducts otherwise big problems with interference

3) Powering the cameras - could i take a local feed from the street lighting?Not strictly a good idea, but if bo other power available, then i would use the pole power

4) what would you guys do on this type of job, we are slowly expanding our business so your help is much appricated.I would ensure that dedicated ducts are run for the cams

Thanks in advance

Just looking again at the plans. They aint gona dig you new ducts in so you may have to go radio perhaps.

Or if you want to take a risk of it no behaving as it should, the existing ducts it is

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

Hi Guys,

Questions as follows;

2) The site has street lighting , could the exisiting ducts be used to feed back to the security office? any recomendations on how to wire back to the security office from each camera. Can't seem to get my head around it TBH!!

4) what would you guys do on this type of job, we are slowly expanding our business so your help is much appricated.

Thanks in advance

if wiring is in ducts why use armoured cable? you mihght use cat5e (see verious threads).

you can use the ducts but need separation from mains voltages, inserting a plastic conduit to take your cables is one way of doing this.

as for the power from the street lighting, could be an issue if they are switched centrally as you will also lose power when the lights go out, and you might also get interference from the lamps themselves when on, depending on type used.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Guys,

Questions as follows;

Thanks in advance

Fibre is expensive and brings its own problems unless your geared up to install and terminate it yourselves.

I'd say utp, but the right grade, dependong on the laypout and duct routes already in place, extra pairs should make it easier to add on in future. doesnt HAVE to be cat5, any suitable utp will do it, check out NVT website.

power from the lighting might be a problem, but not one that usually cant be solved cheaper than additional mains & all the civils reqd for extra ducts etc. I've done it good few times, usually , but not always without problems with hums, and other weird effects.

Fibre is expensive and brings its own problems unless your geared up to install and terminate it yourselves.

fibre optic cable in itself is very cheap, you can buy it in pre cut and terminated in legnths of your choice from Aurega and others, which cuts the hassle and lowers the cost. pulling fibre trough ducts has less problems than cable regarding interference and more rubust on a decent 'tug'.

the transponders are the expensive bit, so depending how many cameras you want to feed over it and how many cables you can get in the ducts, it can soon start to become a viable alternative.

i have the kit to polish the ends, so can vouch it's a time consumming task best done in good light and dry clean surrounds - now try doing that in a pit though :fear:

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

I think if I were in your shoes mitsifto123, I'd be very cautious about what I'm getting myself into with a project like this.

Depending on your level of experience, there are many transmission options which could work very successfully, provided you design out any potential (pun not intended) problems. For example, if you're fitting cameras to lighting poles on a largeish estate, each column will probably have a different earthing potential, which means you have to allow for the probability of Earth Loop Hum rearing it's unattractive presence at some point, and that's without the possibility of other mains related hum issues that might decide to come back and bite you, when you're already well into the project.

Personally I'd tend to agree with arfur, in so far as once you've costed all the various cable / trenching / ducting / transmission equipment / and labour costs into the equation, you might just as well have looked at using multimode fibre optic cable, which not only avoids all the usual quality degrading issues ever present on this type of site, but also to a degree, future proofs the installation, should they later decide to upgrade the cameras, or install other systems, such as electric gates for example. You can shove the cable into existing lighting ducts, and it shouldn't create any significant problems.

I'd prefer to steer clear of radio transmission except where there is absolutely no other alternative, and simply on the basis of the image you've provided, I'd be very wary of committing to the camera positions marked up thus far, without doing a proper site Risk Assessment Survey.

If you have a maintained feed available in the lighting columns then there's no reason why you shouldn't consider tapping in to it, but as has already been suggested, if the columns are fed from a switched supply, you'll need to consider your options and decide which provides the most cost effective solution.

Please be careful not to get over excited by the scale of the project, and in so doing overlook some vital points that could not only become a right pain in the proverbials to sort out, but also potentially prove rather expensive as well ;)

Good luck with the job!

Hi Guys,

Questions as follows;

Thanks in advance

With regard to this type of project, just thought I would put my bit in!

RG59 will not be suitable as the distances are mostly too long (you will get an image but with reduced detail)

Earth diff will be a problem so your options will be twisted pair with launch amps and opto isolated cable equalisers (eg Addlestone) or fibre (bombproof)

Check the ducts are clear and roped (very often they are not).

If you are running in the lighting ducts check wiring regs to maintain separation (you will pick up interference using copper cabling) so fibre is the best route.

The lamp posts are not suitable for mounting as they are designed to flex in windy conditions.

Public space cctv in a housing environment can have problems with privacy so this needs to be considered and documented.

Suggest you undertake the risk assessment and document the purpose of each camera/lens combination and agree in advance with the Client/enduser. (talk to Doc Jon about this!)

Signage needs to be installed.

Hope this helps

Ilkie

Archived