Security Installer Community

Risco Wisdom Vs. Visonic Powermax+

Nil

Hello!

Does someone know why Risco Wisdom alarm system is so much more expensive than Visonic PowerMax+? What are the pros and cons with these two systems? Is Wisdom worth the extra money? Also, is it possible to have an outdoor PIR with PowerMax+ alarm system? And, if so, can it trigger an silent alarm (call the programmed telephone numbers but don

although i use Gardtec i've not used the widom panels or the powermax, i'd bet both have their unswerving fans. as with any equipment apart from making a siren sound you need to know which system will do what in the best way, so your better able to decide which suits your way best overall.

meanwhile Gardtec make 'WatchOut' and 'WatchIn' animal/wildlife ressistant detectors which so far have been superb.

they also do a pir only radio version of each, and a stand alone 4 channel receiver if using with other makes of panel, so that can be hooked into a conventional panel if needed and programmed as required.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

feraure wise out of the box there is little between them, the visonic has more options thouch such as cameras and ip modules with webservers etc. Also the software is generally available for visonic.

but visonic do not AFAIK make an externel sensor, whereas risco do.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thank you for your answers!

Maybe I should go with the cheaper PowerMax+ system then, if I can live without the outdoor movement detector or if the reciever mentioned by arfur mo is not too expensive.

Does anyone have experience of installation/programming of these alarm systems. Is it difficult to get it going?

I also have some questions about what parts to buy.

Is there any disadvantage with a pet tolerant motion detector compared to a normal one? Or is it better to always buy pet tolerant even if you don't have a pet in case you'll get one later or you're selling your house including the alarm system and the new owner has pets and therefore appreciates pet tolerant detectors? Are the pet safe detectors less reliable? At securitywarehouse they are actually a little cheaper interestingly enough (PowerMax).

Do I need glass-break detectors or is it enough with motion detectors?

What about Shock (vibration) Sensor?

Do I need extra internal siren? I intend to buy an external siren.

The WisDom system imo is great and ive never had any major problems, and for the few minor problems ive had, the technical support has been great. Cant really comment on visonic becuase ive never fitted one. But i know the engineers manual with the wisdom is quite big due to the amount of features but its easy enough to follow and install if you stick with the manual.

If your in the trade and you have an account with risco group, i know they offer a free training day type of thing, im not too sure how it is in sweden though.

In answer to your questions;

Although im not entirely sure, i would stick to the non pet safe detectors if you dont have any pets. If the house is sold on its not a huge job to have the PIR changed to pet resistant although they will require re-programming.

What you require would depend upon your risk assesment, but generally speaking you may not need glass break detectors if you have shock detectors on the windows. Aswell as motion detectors in place.

But like i said this is generally speaking and subject to risk assesment.

With the wisdom system, the end panel has full volume control and you may find that turned to full volume you wouldnt need an internal siren.

However if your gonna go with risco with the wisdom panel, it might be worth hanging on if you can. As they are about to launch thier new system called agility which is alot better looking! Its due for being launched anytime soon im led to believe.

Regs

echosigkn8.jpg

the pet sensors are 'slower' than the normal ones, only use pet sensors IMO of you have pets.

Im not a fan of pet sensors really and with a wirelss panel you should be going for perimeter protection (ie vibration, door contacts and or glassbreaks IMHO)

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thank you, redbull and echo for your answers.

I will check Agilty out also when it arrives, I hope it is not too expensive. I have got the impression that Wisdom is easier to install than PowerMax and maybe Agility is even easier because Risco says on their homepage that only the menues relevant to the hardware you are trying to connect will be visible.

To redbull: what do you mean by "slower"? Is there a risk that someone might pass the detector without triggering the alarm?

I guess you are right about that perimeter protection is better than motion detectors, but why is that especially true about wireless systems?

If I understand it correctly, if I have a magnetic contact on each door/window and a glass-break detector in each room I will hardly need motion detectors? And I only need shock sensors if I want to get an earlier alarm?

I guess that perimeter protection with magnets is good because I will see on the alarm panel if I forgot to close a door/window. But it will be more expensive than just a motion detector in each room. Are the motion detectors unreliable? Do they make false alams? Should I skip them entirely?

Regards

The only time we have had a false alarm off the motion detector is when we left the pulse count jumper set on 1. In lehmanns terms this is the setting that controls the sensitivity of the device. The reccomended setting is pulse count 2. Since changing the said detector to pulse count 2 we have had no further problems.

echosigkn8.jpg

The WisDom system imo is great and ive never had any major problems, and for the few minor problems ive had, the technical support has been great. Cant really comment on visonic becuase ive never fitted one. But i know the engineers manual with the wisdom is quite big due to the amount of features but its easy enough to follow and install if you stick with the manual.

If your in the trade and you have an account with risco group, i know they offer a free training day type of thing, im not too sure how it is in sweden though.

In answer to your questions;

Although im not entirely sure, i would stick to the non pet safe detectors if you dont have any pets. If the house is sold on its not a huge job to have the PIR changed to pet resistant although they will require re-programming.

What you require would depend upon your risk assesment, but generally speaking you may not need glass break detectors if you have shock detectors on the windows. Aswell as motion detectors in place.

But like i said this is generally speaking and subject to risk assesment.

With the wisdom system, the end panel has full volume control and you may find that turned to full volume you wouldnt need an internal siren.

However if your gonna go with risco with the wisdom panel, it might be worth hanging on if you can. As they are about to launch thier new system called agility which is alot better looking! Its due for being launched anytime soon im led to believe.

Regs

I like and use the wisdom but i wouldnt wait for the agility. To start with it was coming out next month about 6 months ago, risco have now given up with a release date.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Thank you, redbull and echo for your answers.

To redbull: what do you mean by "slower"? Is there a risk that someone might pass the detector without triggering the alarm?

I guess you are right about that perimeter protection is better than motion detectors, but why is that especially true about wireless systems?

If I understand it correctly, if I have a magnetic contact on each door/window and a glass-break detector in each room I will hardly need motion detectors? And I only need shock sensors if I want to get an earlier alarm?

I guess that perimeter protection with magnets is good because I will see on the alarm panel if I forgot to close a door/window. But it will be more expensive than just a motion detector in each room. Are the motion detectors unreliable? Do they make false alams? Should I skip them entirely?

Regards

hi,

i'm known for playing devils advocate - just a tad

ok Pet sensors, they small microproccesor that have an algorythme, which then decides if a movement based on movement paterns is likely to be an animal or a human, while it dicides this there is a slight delay. so it is possible someone could cross the corner of a room between 2 adjacent doors and not be detected, but as long as you have ample detection elwhwere this is not so big a concern, unless you have loads of easily knicked valuables laying around.

big advantage is they are less likely to false alarm if a window is left open, not that you should risk it - but you will :yes: .

Vibration sensors have good and bad points, limited and very focused range of detection, can be set off by window cleaners or batty neighbours tapping on the glass and prone to water ingrease from condensation on the glass..

contacts - limited detection, will not alert if glass broken or panel kicked out and door not actually openned and prone to false alrms by user errors -:

and no, you don't get into yhe very lazy bad habit of thinking if the alarm sets then all is well :ranting: , door contacts, especially on internal doors are way and above another form of detction for the most false alarms. this is because of what you were thinking to do, an alarm armining succesfuly is not defacto all doors are securely held, it just means the door or windows are closed enough for the contact to be 'clear'. after arming the insecure door moves open tripping the alarm, then slams shut so when you check it all seems as it should and it MUST be a fault :rolleyes:

if you fit door contact you MUST be very regimental about checking each and every one of them are closed by pushing then pulling before you think about settin the system, and if you do - will others just to nip up the shops? no, they will not and either cause a false alrm or not set our system.

i could go on, but the snorings of my peers is getting to loud for me to type above it it.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived