Security Installer Community

Double pole

Guest nikki

Guest nikki

hi there

Is there anyone who could tell me the best way when double balancing is it better to have 1 resistor in the panel and 1 in the detecter or could i put both in the detector??If i put 2 in the detector is it to BS 4737??

I would have thought that when installing end-of-line resistors, they should always be in the detector - that is what makes it so difficult to bypass/tamper the detector. With the resistor in the panel, you lose the main function of EOL. I think I am right in this, but I am sure if I am not someone will correct me!!

:D

D7

They Should both be in the detector as the whole point of having them is to protect the cable from tampering.

if you fitted them in the panel, you could short the cable and the alarm would still see the EOL and therefore could be compramised.

so NEVER fit them into the panel

Hope this Helps

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest Gimmick

Definitely fit the resistors in the detectors. I have had customers fit them in the panel before, simply because "they don't have room in the door contacts". After a quick explanation on how easy it would be for me to short out the cable and completely defeat the system . . they get moved.

I have had installers complain that some of the more "economy" door contacts leave little room for resistors (especially 2 of them), but of course most manufacturers supply 1/4 Watt resistors. . . and 1/8 Watt are much smaller. The voltages and current through these sensor cables is small enough that the smaller resistors would be fine . . so we have advised in the past to purchase a small number of 1/8 Watts in case the engineer runs out of room.

i agree allways in the device.

Contacts are easy with a bit of time and planning you get used to how to install the resistors, use the large maximal on industrial but the small ones are still easy enough.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nikki

Hi all

Thanks for all your replys but i tried to put both the resistors in the detectors but it kept showing a tamper fault.The panel is a veritas excell and i want to use high security operation which i have to use a 10k and a 22k resistor.I have put the 22k across the alarm zone then linked short lenth of cable to the tamper zone then back to the panel from tamper. I have tried just about every way possible in the detector. I have also selected in the miscellaneous section 03

2 and 3 to be on.I also put the panel cover back on.It works fine with just the 10k in the panel going to the detector and the 22k across the alarm zone.

help please

It works fine with just the 10k in the panel going to the detector and the 22k across the alarm zone.

This proves that the prog is right, so , assuming you have it connected correctly, I would check the cable.

Measure it ,the panel needs to see 10k normally , and 32k in alarm.

Note . the 10k is in series with the tamper switch.

:D

Nikki put the 10k resistor where your wire link is

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived