Security Installer Community

Legalities Of A Fused Spur

Omega

Hi all

I have just left a national security company and intend to set up my own company.

When installing for this company, the responsibility for the fused spur lay with the customer. They would often employ an electrician to deal.

Whilst I am capable of running a fused spur ( in domestic premises) what are the legalities now that part 'P' is involved?

Thanks

if the work your doing comes under the scope then you either need to be a registered install that can self cert or call in building control to inspect what you do. Or get someone else to do it.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

part p only applies to domestic premises the stipulation is that a person is compitant to do the job. i've just started up on my own and decided to do the one day course at tavcom which i would recomend as its worth brushing up on the readings and paperwork involved.

Mark Terry

A.M.I. Security

Covering the Thames Valley

Tel. 01189 775173 24hours

mark.terry@amisecurity.co.uk

Tavcom, i did that one, well worth the time and money. taugh by a guy with thirty years exp in the industry. i would also recommend it.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

Thanks for the replies

After reading these, I Tavcom and ACT who also run a course. Either way I will attend one of these.

Thanks for your help!

If you run new circuits from the fuse board or in the kitchen for the feed you will have to notify it to building control join the niceic or eca and you can certify your own work :rolleyes:

AS above, provided it is not a new circuit or in a special location or kitchen then your ok.

As always an electrical test certificate should be issued and the person should be competant, so one of the courses you mentioned should be enough.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish off this topic. I read the whitepaper from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

The main criteria is that I can provide a Fused Spur, Additional Socket (except in a bathroom or Kitchen) without the requirement to issue a certificate or requiring a visit from the local Council.

Regards

Just to finish off this topic. I read the whitepaper from the office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

The main criteria is that I can provide a Fused Spur, Additional Socket (except in a bathroom or Kitchen) without the requirement to issue a certificate or requiring a visit from the local Council.

Regards

I think you might find thats a bit out of date.

If you're fitting a fused spur, additional socket, replacing a light switch, etc, you will need to provide a certificate of minor works.

For this you will need the applicable, calbrated test equipment and to have passed the set of exams as part of the defined scope scheme.

Once you have your part P card you can submit your certificates to building control direct (bit expensive) or join an approved body such as corgi, nic or AN Other who will submit on your behalf for a nominal fee.

Archived