Security Installer Community

best wireless intruder and fire domestic systems?

Guest Gareth

Guest Gareth

Hi all.

Am trying to find a good system that can be installed by a practical bloke. Any one got any ideas or experience?

It's for a four bedroom, four main rooms country house which isn't occupied all year round. So far thought to be a pretty low risk area but want to be sensible for the future. Want one that'll phone out to a relatively close by neighbour (15 mins by car) - landline fine but these days ideally to a mobile (if that makes a difference). Need fire/smoke (hear that it's good to have a non-smoke alarm in the kitchen) alarms - probably two or three max. No pets except the occasional mouse. Doors/windows all double glazed but guess may need sensors on some/all.

Want to avoid difficult wiring job so wireless looks right and am prepared for additional cost which expect there to be. As to zones - very simple, probably two or max three. As to maintenance - the classic once a year check over.

Views, ideas, supplier contacts much appreciated.

If you want to definately go for wireless system, then you would be looking for a class 6 system, there are two good ones I know of, the Powermax, and the Infinite.

If you want I will send you the datasheets, but personally, I would get a good alarm company in, as they will make sure you cant see the wires on a wired system.

D

They have a class 6 version coming out shortly, if it aint already out yet! I think it will be called the powermax2 or something - as I seem to recall.

Hi All,

Bear in mind some proffesional companies do offer or fit wireless alarms. I also believe that Naccoss accept a wireless class 3 alarm if it is a bells only fit (Not monitored)

My Parents went to a local Nacoss Gold approved installer and had fitted and were recomended a FM4000E class 3 wireless sysetm (Bells Only)

from http://www.fmelectronics.co.uk/ which has been relaiable so far. They also do a class 6 model for monitoring for police response.(Confirmed technology etc)

I have a wired alarm in my house as it came fitted so all cables are hidden but I think wirless is getting better as long as you stay away from response, Moss and other diy alarms.

Just my 2 pence worth.

cheers

Jlo

Im not convinced about class 3 systems, even though NSI may approve them for bells only, its a matter of reliability... whilst the class 3 system may be ok, if and when it goes wrong, its us poor engineers that have to go and repair them, also there is the liability that we have to consider, if we install a wireless class 3 system and someone manages to break in because the system we speced wasnt secure enough, it our poor insurance companies that are going to get hammered... as well as our premiums.

Personally, if you can help it stick with wired certified system, or if you must buy wireless, get the best you can... as it will save a lot of pain and messing in the future.

Also steer clear of Yale Wireless!!

D

A college of mine told me a story about an old eda radio fire system that they were having loads of false alarms on. It was before the devices sent back an encoded system. Someone was coming from a company after the contract with a device set to 1, sitting in the car park and activating it. As the older panel only wanted an input from an established number it activated. It doesn't happen anymore as when you log a device onto the system it also includes a head specific code that cant be mimiced. How we chuckled.

Guest Gareth

Thanks everyone. Humm. Sounds like most if not all of you think wireless is not reliable enough by some way - too many false alarms. Maybe have to think again!

Gareth, where are you located, may be able to help?

The New Honeywell Domonial panel is in the process of being launched in the UK.

We have some on test at the moment, and are looking for some subsidised test sites fairly close to our offices.

The Domonial panel is a tried and tested european design, that has been upgraded for the UK market, is DD243:2002 compliant, class 6 etc

We are able to certify it to Nacoss Standards.

It has 2 versions of wirefree keypad, standard and pet pir's, wirefree bellbox, internal sounder, door and window contacts. We love it and so far has been 100% reliable! Surprised? I was...

If you go to www.wirefreealarm.com and fill in the contact form (that is if I can upload it before you get there...) Make sure you put in that I refered you from TSI so as I can ensure you get the subsidised price!

There are some brief details there already, I am waiting on some more pics and spec sheets to add (next Friday)

Sales scpeel ends...

cheers

James

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

Archived