Security Installer Community

CCTV at 'Your' house

Guest Secure Eng 1

I had a VCL day/night dome on the front of my old house connected to a time lapse vcr covering the front driveway. A 50 watt Dennard I/R lamp for night viewing.

The system was connected to a RF modulator so it could be viewed all over the house.

The system produced fantastic images then one day my wife was about to get into the car when some low life attacked her got the keys off her and made off with the car. The police were on site inside of 1 minute to take a statement and the fantastic images of the whole event on tape. From that on the only thing I have received from the police is a speeding ticket for the stolen car 30 minutes after it was taken. So my point is: I had a system worth £2000 but if the police are not going to do anything with the evidence what is the point of having the system?

The only plus point is the insurance paid out no problem when I told them to see the evidence the police were holding.

We have now moved to a new house as my wife was so upset with what happened.

Regards Matt

Guest SecurityMan

The company I work for has begun manufacturing our own digital video recorder systems. After packaging them with cameras, we have been able to sell off a lot of them to home owners that are in the process of having thier houses built as well as a few retro-fits.

We are an integrator so what we find is a lot of people want these things modulated into thier televisions, hooked up to alarm systems, and plugged into thier networks. So when the doorbell rings they can flip the plasma over to the modulated channel and see who's at the door, and either buzz them in or set off thier alarm from thier phone system.

Typical system for one of these customers is around $25,000-$30,000. What would I spend on CCTV for my house? I have put about $500 into it for one 4 inpute DVR card and 3 infrared color dome cameras. The computer that they are wired into also doubles as a movie server for my living room television so that price is not included.

A decent system for say a small townhouse would be easy to put together for around $1,000 I think.

Guest SecurityMan

As a PS: When you sell someone a CCTV system for thier home, chances are they will never use it. Not like a store or corperation ever would. It's the sense that they have that extra line of defence, that's what people drop thier money for.

Last month we did an install for a fairly well off guy in Delaware. One front door camera, one side door cam, on rear gate cam, one driveway camera, DVR, the whole nine yards.

This guy just did not need any of this stuff.. He just moved into a gated community for one, 20 foot brick walls with pikes on top surrounded the entire place. Second, everyone living around him had just as much money and stuff as he did. Third, he was moving into the very first gated community in the area with THUMBPRINT RECOGNITION. On top of all that, his security system, and the locks on his doors, the only reason he could possibly need any more security would be for the peace of mind that he has done everything in his power to protect his family and valuables.

Either that or he's just a show off. Probably the latter :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 5 cams, 1 on drive, 1 on next door's drive, 1 on front door, 1 on side looking back, 1 looking at front side gate!

Digital sprite, viewable over ip from work, pda etc

connected to remote c/s

2 way audio via ip (and pstn from gate) plus voice annunciator message box to scare the cat from next door

remote gate release for deliveries

beams, external pir's and contacts on the gates.

garage has smoke cloak, maglocks on doors with prox via galaxy

house has hi security locks and dualcom gsm

Why?

Well with 3 attempt breakins and 1 breakin I bit the bullet, now people take the p*** but I can shout at them via IP from work....

and the delivery bloke jumped a mile when, after i spoke to him via the door phone, i came into the garden behind him.... ahh the joys of modern technology...

(total cost for piece of mind £3000)

James

The only thing I've caught so far is a bloke going for **** outside my neigbours' house... didnt he look silly when i printed it off and pinned it to the gate....

TSS

Communication is "A question asked, and an Opinion given." I offer mine to help you with yours.

Statements I make are my personal views only at the time they are posted, if I offend you sorry, must be taken in context and do not neccesarily represent those of my employer.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

my house is the only one on my road with an alarm, but kids still hang around, thats why i want more cams on it just in case, i keep having my car tampered with ie wing mirros moved and the odd scratch so i want to keep an eye on that

plus i want to connect my cams to my BRAND NEW 42 inch LCD via auto pic in pic via redwalls

Eucam Security Systems

0845 4630 746

www.eucam.co.uk

I've got 3 day / night vandal domes, covering front and back gardens and one on the garage. All connected back to a dedicated server with GeoVision card. I've also got an old baby monitor plugged into the garage so I can hear anything strange that goes bump in the night :whistle:

Archived