Security Installer Community

Schools Are Told To Switch Off Cctv

ilkie

From the Mail Online yesterday

Thought this might be of interest

Ilkie

"Schools using CCTV cameras and microphones in classrooms to monitor pupils as young as four have been told they should be switched off.

Headteachers have been warned that putting children and teachers under constant surveillance is

Did they explain how you check the 'serious assault' footage without the cameras being in place? .... thought not!

See other thread http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/comm...c=26789&hl=

Ah, but it's now both in the Trade & Public sides of the Forum, thanks ilkie cheers

Someone told me I was ignorant and apathetic, I don't know what that means, nor do I care.

Did they explain how you check the 'serious assault' footage without the cameras being in place? .... thought not!

Maybe there should be a compromise; Permit recording, but only retain images for 24 hours unless there's a serious incident

PM me for access to the SSAIB members discussion area.

Ah, but it's now both in the Trade & Public sides of the Forum, thanks ilkie cheers

Iput this in the public side of the forum because even though sometimes the installer provides the design of the CCTV system, it is always the end user who takes legal responsibility under the terms of the Act.

I would suggest the problem here could be considered to be twofold.

First is the use of audio recording which we know is almost never justified.

The second is the use of CCTV in class rooms and the reason why they are installed (proportionality)

From the Code of Practice

"Where the system will be operated by or on behalf of a public authority, the authority will also

need to consider wider human rights issues and in particular the implications of the European

Convention on Human Rights, Article 8 (the right to respect for private and family life). This will

include:

Is the proposed system established on a proper legal basis and operated in accordance with the law?

Is it necessary to address a pressing need, such as public safety, crime prevention or national security?

Is it justified in the circumstances?

Is it proportionate to the problem that it is designed to deal with?

If this is not the case then it would not be appropriate to use CCTV."

In my opion we are seeing a change in public opinion away from CCTV unless it can be justified and I think that the reaction from the Government (probably the next) will be to formally licience CCTV systems and part of that will be to be able to prove that the use of each camera installed is justified.

Ilkie

Archived