Security Installer Community

Which Wirefree? Are Response any good?

Guest spleen

Guest spleen

Hi

I'm moving into a rented house in a few weeks and want to get an alarm for it. I want something cheap and easy to install (and uninstall). I've seen a response alarm on screwfix...

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...=91745&id=60894

...is this any good? Do wirefree alarms like this eat up lots of batteries? How often do i need to change batteries in the alarm and the sensors? Are they easy for burglars to disable? Would this alarm actually be effective?

I'm moving into a little semi and reckon just 2 PIRS will do the job. I need wirefree because the landlord doesn't want me to mess with the house much and I want something I can take with me when I leave in a couple of years. And it needs to quite cheap because I'm skint.

Any suggestions? Are Response alarms OK?

Thanks!

Dan :D

Hi dan

Most of us would steer away from diy wirles systems but it all depends on how much money you are going to spend and your technical abilitys. Eiven the most seasond engineer will have problems with wirles devices. To be honest you get what you pay for and response alarms are alright for the diyer but expect alot of false alarms. (from experiance). I would personaley get a profesional companey in to provide you with wirles security products. See if any of the companeys on the site can help you. I hope this helps and ime sorry if it sounds as if response are not much cop but as i said you get what you paid for :)

Guest alarmingdave

Hi there

as a rule you would be pushed to find many trades people using this type of alarm, my own experiences of them are very negative limited over the years to getting calls from desperate customers who having bought one and fitted it find it a false alarming nightmare, even deceiding to activate every time a local taxi company drove past.

Go with a wired system far less trouble long term :)

Dave

I dont think anyone on this site will recommend this type of alarm I'm afraid. Most of us are sceptical about the expensive wirefree alarms let alone the cheap tosh!

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Yep i agree with the above.

We have removed a lot of response alarms due to the unreliability of them.

Have a couple quotes first from approved companies then at least you will know your maximum price.

Alarm systems are much more than fit em and forget em, as soon as it keeps activating falsely you and your neighbours will lose confidence in it and it will be even more useless.

The other problem with the class 3 gear like the response is the fact you could simply remove the detectors (most diyers fit em with sticky back velcro!!!! :( ) and the system would not even know.

So you could potentially set the control panel blissfully unaware that all the devices have been removed, extreme i know but it could happen.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

steer well clear would be my advice.

At the end of the day you cant beat a hard wired system.

I would only fit a wireless system if it was absolutely impossible to run cables in.

your diy job might look good but six months down the line youll be wishing you hadnt bothered,when the false alarms start piling up

If he agreed with the owner to leave the system in when he moved, the owner would see it as an improvement and I doubt he would object.

Likewise Dan can then get a basic reliable wired system fitted professionally and not have the hassle of the wireless system.

Hi Dan,

A lot of people give wirelss a very hard time and am guessing its from there experience.

I have to say my Father in Law, Brother in Law and neigbour have the 'yale' wireless alarms which dials out a recorded message and all have been up for over a year with no false alarms, (and yes I have walked tested the system). Maybe they have just been lucky!

My parents went to a local nacoss gold installer and were reccomended a wireless class 3 alarm (FM Electronics) which is the minimum grade for a professional fit (Bells only) If you want police response it has to be class 6) and this has been 100% reliable although the panels are pretty basic.

The DIY alarms don't go above class one so you would not get any insurance discount.

My own alarm is wired and I am sure the pro's are right that if you can afford a wired system its probally the best option.

Just my 2 pence worth

cheers

Jlo

Archived