Security Installer Community

How Flipping Much?

kensplace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/7785318.stm

Cameras have been installed at a level crossing, to catch drivers putting the trains in danger. LPR cameras.

I have not seen them, but may take a look sometime, but I would imagine by cameras they mean two (one for each direction) possibly three so their is a overview.

Can you guess the cost?

Six Hundred Thousand Pounds.

For a few cameras at a level crossing - even buying top end lpr cams, excellent DVR's, wireless transmission or hard wiring the cabling I fail to see how they can justify that price....

gatso cameras work out at about 30 - 60k per install, so its feasable. PLus where does the feed go? did they have a fibre on the track they could use or was running these back to control part of that price?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Article does not say about the transmission part, but the metro network already has a multi million pound cctv system with centralised monitoring station, so facilities for video transmission would probably already have been present.

Well it seems like a typo but frankly if it saves someone life its worth it, a train thats half full though 100 people in it maybe?

Knowing the junction theres probably hundreds of dickheads from up the road jumping the lights every week.

600k? Possible.

The camera itself is a relatively minor part of the cost.......but!

Looking at the overall equation - e.g. get a video image from a point "x" on a railway line to a point "y" off a railway line, whereby (presumably) real time and recorded video can be monitored....in all light and weather conditions????

Okay, transmission path(s) - fibre? IP? Possibly both, for redundancy and failover.

Distance, required containment standard, working hours (engineering hours on railways are often only a couple of hours through the night).

Mounting of cameras, housings, weatherproofing, shake and shock proofing, etc.

Power to cameras and transmission equipment.

Performance of cameras/Lenses.

Connection into ARC (whether self run or bureau service).

Receiving equipment rack

Recording equipment, monitoring equipment, Storage solution.

Agreed service level contract.

And that's without scale of multiple site installations, which you would seriously hope there were - e.g. every level crossing along that line (or branch) or at least another major purpose to the transmission path(s).

Agreed, it would be hard to justify as a stand alone cost, unless the corssing was suffering fataccs every day, which we'd all know about - it would be big news.

Where is this crossing?

Bill.

Duh!

I just saw the BBC News link to the article......

Well of course, they've got to figure out a way to run cameras on coal for that part of the UK (please, it's a joke!!!)......

Bill.

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Its very easy for the price to go high on nexus sites, I don't know if the station had cameras on the platforms etc before but, all equipment used is not off the shelf stuff. Its all top end equipment that needs to be built up.

I recently built up the cameras/ rack/ Psu's for a station and it took me the best part of a day to make up one fixed camera then another day to fit and commission it. Times that by how many cameras you have and its getting expensive.

The rack can take a week to build up, add on the cost of the parts. Commissioning of the rack on to the fibre network etc and before you know it you have been on the project for three weeks just to fit four fixed cameras.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

And don't forget the 15% he adds on because "you have to maintain the margin".......despite you've already built that in legitimately elsewhere.

Dont forget you have to allow for the consultants fees...........

He's the bloke with the suit and the new Merc' who gets it all wrong, then relies on a real engineer to make it work. :whistle:

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Archived