Security Installer Community

Some Advice On A New System

NMBCamera

Hi,

I'm new in this forum, and I read the very interesting introduction to CCTv systems. I am interested in installing a new CCTV system at the exterior of my groundfloor apartment, and would like to ask for some advice from the experts as I am very new to this subject and do not have any experience.

This is my requirement: My apartment stands on a corner and it is a small apartment, therefore I reckon that two cameras will be enough having one at each end pointing at the corner. I think that two cameras are enough because I saw that the range of normal cameras is about 15 meters and there are about 8 meters from each end to the corner. Therefore one camera at every end should suffice. Right?

Also I want to record the footage taken from the cameras. I would like to ask what is the best option between the stand alone DVR and the PC based system for a private user like me. Personally, since my PC is going to be located in the bedroom, I prefer not having to leave it on 24/7 since its fan would be noisy while I sleep.

I would also want to record for the maximum length possible, to avoid having to take manual backups etc. How big, in terms of megabyte size would a day translate into with an acceptable resolution? This will help me calculate the amount of disk size that I will have to purchase. Also is it best to record only when motion is detected, or all the time?

There are wireless are wired cameras? Which is the best for a private user? Where does a wireless camera get the power from? Are wired cameras better than wireless ones in terms of reception etc. I can still use wired cameras since the electrical installation at the apartment has not been completed yet.

I was looking at this usual "too good to be true" and "you don't need nothing else" system for sale on ebay, which I think that if it performs the was it says on the box, you really need nothing else. I have been thought that "if it is too good to be true, it probably is" therefore I would like to ask for your opinion. Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-IR-WIRELESS-CCTV...A1%7C240%3A1308

Thanks for taking time to read this post, and for any replies

N

how to put this.

if it were that good we would install nothing else.... and we dont install em.. at all.

put it another way. A proper ip camera is more than that lot.

However a lot of people ignore our advise and buy the cheap tat anyway.... only to agree with us later on.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Also I want to record the footage taken from the cameras. I would like to ask what is the best option between the stand alone DVR and the PC based system for a private user like me. Personally, since my PC is going to be located in the bedroom, I prefer not having to leave it on 24/7 since its fan would be noisy while I sleep.

Hi,Most DVR's are built around a hard drive and as such they will prob have a 'fan' that runs 24/7 also-I say most note!.

The size of hard drive is such a grey area-if you record at max FPS you will get less total record time obviously-but if you take it down to a lower rate you can get a lot more recording time!-IE 4 cams at 8FPS on a 250GB HD can give 2-3 weeks recording-again varies on the DVR etc.

DVR's are specificly designed for CCTV apps-as such they power themselves on after a power fail and start recording automatically etc-PC based ones need 'tweeking' and I as I think most on here would not recommend.

As for ebay,B and Q, etc-you get what you pay for!!!!-and again all on here fit dedicated quality security equipment.

Hope this helps.

Regards Richard.

Hello, thanks for your replies

For those of you that asked, "island" is Malta not some prison island in Africa. AND the reason I posted here is because since Malta was a British colony for many years, many standards and electrical installations conform to British standards. I'm also proud to say that British products are preferred here.

What about the other questions....

Are two cameras enough for my requirement?

Wired or wireless cams? Do wireless cams still need a wired power supply? Which are best for reception and for a private user?

Can someone suggest a configuration for my requirements?

Thanks

N

id avoid wireless cams they really are poor, ie the wireless side is very short range and needs direct line of sight.

Its alos something you need to survey as there may be other issues, ie wifi, or other rf that will cause it to fail. They are very basic.

Yes they will need some sort of power

Its difficult to recommend anything without a lot of details. ie what you want form the system and its proposed location etc. The more info the better really.

ie you may as well of just asked 'I need a vehicle, what woudl you recommend'

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hello, thanks for your replies

For those of you that asked, "island" is Malta not some prison island in Africa. AND the reason I posted here is because since Malta was a British colony for many years, many standards and electrical installations conform to British standards. I'm also proud to say that British products are preferred here.

What about the other questions....

Are two cameras enough for my requirement?

Wired or wireless cams? Do wireless cams still need a wired power supply? Which are best for reception and for a private user?

Can someone suggest a configuration for my requirements?

Thanks

N

You pay the flights and hotel (mr mifsud by any chance?) i'll come and tell you exactly what you need...........................Love Malta!

If you want anything near good quality avoid the junk on Ebay, while theres some good 2nd hand stuff on there you need to know what your doing to use most of it. The new stuff is mostly junk from China.

Wireless camera's still need power so unless youve got plenty of batteries wired is easier long term. Besides wireless will always lose the signal at the crucial moment, its Murpheys law!

The range issue i think you are confusing the Infra red range as opposed to the camera view although 8-15 mtrs is probably a practical view for you, anything further and your going to need to use narrower a angle lens for the image to be useable.

I would guess (and it is a guess without seeing the view you want to record, 2 x day/night camera's with a 250gb hard drive DVR would do the job but thats a guess. If low light is an issue you need IR also.

I havent been to Malta since 1978, my first foreign run ashore, i had a lot of 1st there and remember the Island and the lovely people fondly, must go back some time.

Hi, again thanks for your replies :)

>>> ian.cant

Are you referring to Mr Mifsud the maltese football player with Barnsley? I'm sorry but I don't know a heck about football. As regards your flight, I'd gladly pay it however I hardly have enough money to finish my new apartment, therefore I think you will have to fork out 20 quid and catch the daily Low Cost flight from Luton airport. Nevertheless, if you are coming to Malta, send me a PM, I'll be glad to have a couple of pints together.

Now, attached is a primitive plan of the of my apartment. As I said it stands on a corner on the ground floor, and there is not more than 8 meters from where the cameras are positioned to the corner. When the corner is reached there is coverage by the other camera. So are two cameras enough?

So till now I learnt that:

Wired cameras are better than wireless

DVR is better than PC because it is specifically designed for the application

I have to check about the lighting at night, however I prefer playing safe and Installing IR immediately.

I should get something from a local supplier, but I'm asking questions here so that I know some information beforehand and they don't sell me just what's more profitable to them.

Some more questions:

Do cameras have seperate wires for power supply and video signal? I mean, do I have to prepare two wire ducts, one for the electricity cable and one for the video cable, or should I just prepare one wire duct to the DVR?

So what do you people think?

Thanks

N

post-26577-1238705379_thumb.jpg

I thought nearly everyone in Malta was called Mifsud its the equivalent of Smith in the uk is it not? I wasnt refering to the footballer though although i do believe he's a good goalscorer.

Two camera positions seems fine on the face of it although there will be a sort of blind spot on the angle, i presume it wont be possible to get there without going throught the field of view of either cam 1 or 2.

The camera's will need a separate cable for power and video signal although it is possible to buy composite or shotgun cable which is basically power and video wires seperate but within the same cable. I hope that makes sense.

If you buy low voltage 12v or 24v camera's as opposed to mains power 230/240v/ac then both the power and video can be run in the same Duct or containment, mains powered camera's should have the power run in a seperate duct ideally. For one its safer and two you could induce interference onto the video so best not to.

I never realised its cheaper to fly from luton to Malta than it is to drive from Luton to Newcastle, as tempting as it seems i would be missed!

Archived