Security Installer Community

External Pirs Fitted To Avoid Animal Triggers

Driller

I have read up on the major names on external PIRs and in each case the suggested mounting hight for this use (ie avoiding animal triggers) is around 3-4 feet. I understand that this is so that the top beam can be directed parallel to the ground but at a hight that will allow it to intercept intruders.

Obviously a basic principle of mounting security equipment is to mount it up out of reach of the very people it is trying to detect.

What is the general consensus on this apparent compromise, take the risk of damage/disactivation to avoid false alarms or remove all chance of damage but accept the odd false alarm?

Depends on the site and risk etc. But you probably wouldnt be using those pir's on a very hogh risk site anyway.

We would use redwalls (not pet tolerant) and the arc would filter, unless there was an animal problem. If the ranges were short id use the risco watchout (pet tolerant and has a normal mounting height), but if it were normal to high risk and animals were an issue id use active infra red and on high risk id mount them in a post.

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I have read up on the major names on external PIRs and in each case the suggested mounting hight for this use (ie avoiding animal triggers) is around 3-4 feet. I understand that this is so that the top beam can be directed parallel to the ground but at a hight that will allow it to intercept intruders.

Obviously a basic principle of mounting security equipment is to mount it up out of reach of the very people it is trying to detect.

What is the general consensus on this apparent compromise, take the risk of damage/disactivation to avoid false alarms or remove all chance of damage but accept the odd false alarm?

I agree a there is a problem with the mounting hights of PIR and cameras regarding possible attack from intruders. While there will never be a perfect bit of kit for every application there are enough manufacturers out there to cover most eventuallitys. If the system was being monitored i would always go with always getting the dectection and the odd false alarm. ARC's are used to this and as long as its not exessive shouldnt cause a problem.

In general though I would advise the Adpro Pro Series PIR's as they have an advised mounit height of 2.4 meters and can be adjusted to lower the amout of false alarms that you would get from smaller animal targets. (when i was with adpro we had some very good test results when testing with animals)

The range covers a most distances and beam widths. check out there webs site for more info

cheers,

Dan

Hi Driller,

For residential use I'd personally go with GJD, and like you've previously mentioned the digizone system.

Its relatively easy to wire and set-up and the detectors are less industrial looking than say redwalls etc....

In saying that though the Optex HX40 are ok.

Also worth considering are:

Texecom Prestige External

Risco Watchout

Takex

It

Guest RJBsec
I have read up on the major names on external PIRs and in each case the suggested mounting hight for this use (ie avoiding animal triggers) is around 3-4 feet.

I think it's going to be cheap tat for installing at 3-4 foot, some good detectors on the market now that will allow fitting at 'normal' height.

Guest RJBsec
the optex isnt cheap tat roger but it is old technology now, works very well but needs to be at the correct height.

Fair comment - Optex is good kit, often used their internal detectors but today there shouldn't be the need to have pet-friendly at low level.

The majority of external detector feature two passive infrared detectors (or passive and microwave) and both need to be activated to confirm an alarm. That said I've not found one yet that gives at least 99% accuracy!.

Some feature the ability to add a second detector so sequencial confirmation can be used.

Guest RJBsec

Risco Watchout Dual-tec is the best I've used.

One rural site connected to an alarm with SMS has yet to false alarm in 12 months despite being open to birds, cats foxes etc, but has triggered with user error (not switched off before entry) so we know it works :lol:

Thanks for all the replies, there is quite a lot to choose from isn't there?

The Risco Watchout looks handy and not too industrial looking. Not too pricey either. A lot of folk here seem to vouch for them. There will be a PIR, a 500w flood and an SVD4600 on each corner of the house, so it would be nice to keep it tame-ish looking.

The wired version (I don't trust wireless stuff) seems to be called Rokonet strangely and not Risco...

I don't intend to have an ARC for the moment but intend to install a system someone mentioned where a picture can be sent to a phone or by email if a detector is triggered.

I'd not heard of the Adpro stuff but I will have a look at it.

In fact I heard a story of someone on here who has everything (including access) linked to his phone. He said he takes courrier deliveries and lets the guys in to his property watching them all the time on his phone and giving them directions. B)

i've got to say that I like the look of the D-Tect2's from an aesthetic domestic POV and they seem fairly immune to false alarms. Bit more expensive than the Watchouts though. The Elites might do but less resistant on the false alarm front.

Of course these would be perfect to go with the Dygizone although I imagine that pretty much any external detector could be used with this.

Would the Watchouts work OK with the Dygizone?

The Raytec Hybrids look phenomenal and I got quite excited looking at them. Unfortunately I couldn't justify going that far right now. They could always be added later I suppose.

This is a bit of a judgement call!

PS What is the feeling about photoelectric sensors, they don't seem to be mentioned much. Is this old technology?

Archived