Security Installer Community

Using Multistrand Alarm Cable For 12v Supply

Driller

Would anyone see a problem with using multistrand alarm cable for the 12V and RS485 supply to my cameras?

In hindsight I should have got shotgun RG59 instead of the standard stuff :whistle:

What do you guys use?

on 12vdc short runs upto 50 metres or so i use 6 or 8 core and double up the pairs for the cctv power anything longer and i tend to use .75 flex flat, speed domes at 24v i use 2 core .75 flat flex and beldon for rs485 and coax for video, and 24v domes and other cameras static though i either use alarm cable at no more than 30 metres but normally run flat cable flex in for that aswell

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Thanks (again!) guys for the info.

I've got a whole load of CAT6 cable left over which you have made me think about, I could double that up for the 12V.

As I said I should have bought shotgun, but I i didn't think. Amateur's error huh? :rolleyes:

cheers

Driller

Alarm cable is ok for 12v supply but you need twisted pair (cat5 or beldon) for rs485

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Tried shotgun type cable and:

A-Can't get on with BNC's on the stranded centre!!!-but that might be down to the type I've tried!.

B-I find it a pain to strip back X amount of cable to get enough to go to the DVR etc and then enough to get to the camera PSU!.

I personaly prefer RG59 and alarm cable for power-I aint tied to locations then.

A-Can't get on with BNC's on the stranded centre!!!-but that might be down to the type I've tried!.

B-I find it a pain to strip back X amount of cable to get enough to go to the DVR etc and then enough to get to the camera PSU!.

I personaly prefer RG59 and alarm cable for power-I aint tied to locations then.

absolutely cheers;)

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Ah, thanks for that Rulland, I feel less of a dimwit now! :)

Archived