Security Installer Community

Rs485

Driller

Hi, if anyone is still around here this weekend, in my Galaxy panel manual it says that up to a certain length I do not need to use twisted pair cable for the RS485 link to the keyprox.

I think this was 100m.

Most of my cameras are less than 20m to the DVR.

I have only pulled two conduits per placement and I'm struggling to squeeze all the cable I need inside. Amateur error number 2 :rolleyes:

This is why I'm hoping to use thinner non-twisted pair for the 12v and the rs485.

Could someone advise please?

Thanks again chaps.

Driller

Wouldn't like to use non shielded anything for RS485, unless a very short run.

Not sure running 12V along a pair in the same seath as untwisted data is a good idea either.......

Try it - be prepared to put a ferrite ring round the power pair, possibly both ends.

To be fair, though Galaxys used to suffer with 485 bus problems (original ones anyway) it should be ok.......depending on distance from panel to keyprox.

Bill.

Hi, if anyone is still around here this weekend, in my Galaxy panel manual it says that up to a certain length I do not need to use twisted pair cable for the RS485 link to the keyprox.

I think this was 100m.

Most of my cameras are less than 20m to the DVR.

I have only pulled two conduits per placement and I'm struggling to squeeze all the cable I need inside. Amateur error number 2 :rolleyes:

This is why I'm hoping to use thinner non-twisted pair for the 12v and the rs485.

Could someone advise please?

Thanks again chaps.

Driller

Bill

Accord Fire & Security Services Ltd.

www.accordfire.co.uk ~ TEL: 0845 474 5839

Thanks Bill. I have 4 external cameras, 2 of which have a cable length of about 8 meters and 2 with about 17ish meters.

I'll give it a try and as you suggested will try to get the 12V in another cable. It will be alongside though.

Unfortunately I have to have the power cable for the flood associated with each camera running alongside the video cable for 3-4 meters, no choice.

Use Cat5, one pair for rs485 and the other 3 pairs for power.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Use Cat5, one pair for rs485 and the other 3 pairs for power.

Presumably you mean all in the same cable then.

The three pairs for power, do you reckon I could drive 2 cameras off one cable (ie 3 pairs) or even 2 cameras and a PIR?

Thanks for the advice.

Presumably you mean all in the same cable then.

The three pairs for power, do you reckon I could drive 2 cameras off one cable (ie 3 pairs) or even 2 cameras and a PIR?

Thanks for the advice.

ETA Actually don't answer that, I'm going to read up on the resistances of the cable and the current draw of the cameras.

Forums can make you lazy sometimes...

Try it - be prepared to put a ferrite ring round the power pair, possibly both ends.

On closer inspection my cameras have ferrite rings around all cables, video, power and rs485. I guess you really do get what you pay for.

WCertainly wouldnt do it myself, but I've seen a few camera installations where rs485 is run for hundreds of metres in 6 core intruder cable, just tapped off anywhere convenient, rather than daisy chained.

I'd have said it wouldnt work, but it does, and has, problem free for years. Just goes to prove , you can 'get away with' quite a lot.

Best thing is probaly to just try it.

Archived