Security Installer Community

Smart 2 Dvr Hard Drive Upgrade

AJSecurity

Hi everyone. I have been using the Smart 2 DVR from system Q for a few years now and I am very pleased with it. I have it running over a network and the internet fine. Currently it is fiited with 2 Seagate 400 gb ide drives. I have tried a sata to pata converter but got sector errors with larger sata drives :unsure: . Does any one know a source of 750 GB IDE Seagates at a reasonable price. Hope you can help. Best regards Andy

Try here

They are out of stock at the moment, but they will email you when they get some

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Ok just talked to a nice chap at Aria today. He has no date for delivery of the 750 GB IDE Drives. It seems thay are like some you dont expect from rocking horses... He did however indicate several cctv companies use one of their sata converters. Guess what out of stock. I have just ordered one from ebuyer. It appears to be manufactured by startech.com and will allow master slave selection as well. I will keep you up to date of my progress. PS does any one here know if we can go above the 1.5TB limit of the Smart2 DVR or am I gonna have to experiment :sign:

It probably a hard limit probably something to do with the way it address the individual drive sectors, it certainly looks like it from there website, it's all to do with the way the physical hardware can address stuff, that's the basics of it, after that it does get complex all sorts of stuff to do with powers of 2 and bits, bytes, words and double words etc.

Intruder / CCTV / Access Control Technical Support Personal

Subscriber to the "K.I.S.S" principle, that's Keep It Simple Stupid, are you?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to my trials.. Found a sata converter that allowed master/slave worked with two sata drives fitted.. Only one problem the dvd drive now unrecognisable and unusable.. :angry: As luck would have guy on ebay sellin 750gb ide dv3.5 series Seagate drives for

Archived