Security Installer Community

Digital Cctv Advice

bob2611

Hi Everyone

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend who needs some advice.

He owns a bar and the police have told him he's got to change his 8 year old video cctv system to digital.

the cameras are ok, but he has to replace an two cams to infrared low light and colour low light camera.

He's also got to get a digital dvr system. holds at least 31 days footage.

What do you recommend as the most cost effective dvr system and cameras ? if they mention frame rates, if they are of equal frame rate, I guess quality and storage size is the same ?

how do you back up a dvr - incase hard drive fails ?

can you use any hard disk in these. I see some are charging

Hi Everyone

He owns a bar and the police have told him he's got to change his 8 year old video cctv system to digital.

the cameras are ok, but he has to replace an two cams to infrared low light and colour low light camera.

What do you recommend as the most cost effective dvr system and cameras ? if they mention frame rates, if they are of equal frame rate, I guess quality and storage size is the same ?

Guest old-hand

How many cameras for a start will then help determine the size of the HD required.

Why back up a HD, if an incident happens then Burn it off and use that as evidence.

I like the price of

Hi Everyone

Thank you for the replies.

There are 12 cameras in this place. 11 inside, 1 outside. I guess it'll be a 12 or 16 channel dvr.

the drives I was thinking of were samsung spinpoint 1tb. They're pretty good. Wondering if all these dvr's use proprietory drives.

if you burn everyday on to CD\DVD, that gets expensive over time. I was thinking of a DVR with a 2nd drive, so you can backup one disk on to another removal disk, or a USB drive. Do you get this in DVR's ?

can anyone recommend make\models for dvr's. Everything I see suggest it'll cost around

hard drives are designed for differernt tasks. Desktop drives are not designed for server environments, which is what a dvr pretty much is.

Also 500 quid is a cheap dvr

Redbull

Well enterprise is doing a Pentaplex DVR with dual streaming true web server that is a amazing bit of kit for around that price, can always find something more expensive if you want but why do it ?

Why not blow you cash on expensive DM or videoswitch for

matt

That is your opinion and your more than entitled to it.

I often look at it like cars.

You can get a car for a grand, it will have 3 doors, an engine, roof, mot etc all the bits needed. So why on earth do they make more expensive cars.... whats the point?

I presume you have you name down for one of those tata things thats coming (cheapest car made) and currently drive somthing similar?

Same with drives.

Samsung spinpoint. Good drive, fast, quiet, low power... but a desktop drive. Not designed for 24/7 constant small file use.

WD and seagate make drives dedicated for servers (yes sata) that are designed for 24/7 uses. One problem is they are more expensive.

500 quid is still a cheap dvr. And I personally would avoid just like i avoid cheap anything to be fair. (I do like value for money mind, but cheap rarely gives this)

James

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

matt

That is your opinion and your more than entitled to it.

I often look at it like cars.

You can get a car for a grand, it will have 3 doors, an engine, roof, mot etc all the bits needed. So why on earth do they make more expensive cars.... whats the point?

I presume you have you name down for one of those tata things thats coming (cheapest car made) and currently drive somthing similar?

Same with drives.

Samsung spinpoint. Good drive, fast, quiet, low power... but a desktop drive. Not designed for 24/7 constant small file use.

WD and seagate make drives dedicated for servers (yes sata) that are designed for 24/7 uses. One problem is they are more expensive.

500 quid is still a cheap dvr. And I personally would avoid just like i avoid cheap anything to be fair. (I do like value for money mind, but cheap rarely gives this)

James

They might be cheaper than other DVR's around but they must still be fit for purpose , there will always be a place in the market for entry level dvrs.

Personally if i think i can get away when quoting for a more expensive DVR, i will . The only issue is when you trade/work in any area where there are more alarm companies than customer, where you quote a system for

Guest old-hand

Think it said ". He's had a few companies quote, some prices are quite contrasting"

Rather different ehh...................

Archived