Security Installer Community

Digital Cctv Advice

bob2611

lol

Yes matt, but id avoid the merc for most jobs and also go for a vw.

But id class a dm or as a merc, and the video switch as a vw, and the 500 quid dvr as a Perodua. Yes fit for purpose, gets from a to b..... but i wouldnt drive one

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Thank you for the replies.

There are 12 cameras in this place. 11 inside, 1 outside. I guess it'll be a 12 or 16 channel dvr.

the drives I was thinking of were samsung spinpoint 1tb. They're pretty good. Wondering if all these dvr's use proprietory drives.

if you burn everyday on to CD\DVD, that gets expensive over time. I was thinking of a DVR with a 2nd drive, so you can backup one disk on to another removal disk, or a USB drive. Do you get this in DVR's ?

can anyone recommend make\models for dvr's. Everything I see suggest it'll cost around

if you burn everyday on to CD\DVD, that gets expensive over time. I was thinking of a DVR with a 2nd drive, so you can backup one disk on to another removal disk, or a USB drive. Do you get this in DVR's ?

The CD/DVD back-up is really only for specific incidents, it is not realistic or practical to back-up everything using this method. If you are looking for redundancy in the recording database you will be looking for a DVR with mirroring or raid capabilities, this is normally reservered for high end installations and good DVRs (non-pc based) with this feature are not cheap. Go for DVRs with the hard drives mentioned and although it does not guarantee that you will have no issues it will reduce the chances of it.

With regards to the debate on the cheap V dearer DVRs, I personally never knock a DVR based on price alone although it is true that they are usually cr*p, I have some experience of DM machines and the ones I have seen are very polished machines but these machines are too expensive for the mass market, using the car example, mercedes announced some years ago that their products were over engineered and reduced their R&D budget significantly, the result was reduced quality but people did not stop buying them.

There are very good machines much cheaper than the DM that are fit for purpose, although they are not as polished as a DM they offer better value for money imo. As an example, currently we do not import from China but I would not say never as this would be short sighted and there will be products worth importing that offer good performance/reliablility/etc for the price bracket, just have not found one yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the resonses. I really appreciate the help. He has decided to go the cheapest option he can get. So he is not bothered about warranties.

He has decided to get a Dynamic EZH16 DVR. I have never come across them. Has anyone else used this before ?

What do these things usually cost ?

Apparently, the police don't seem to know much about CCTV themselves. When asked for what criteria eg. fps etc for the system. They didn't have a clue.

Thanks for all the resonses. I really appreciate the help. He has decided to go the cheapest option he can get. So he is not bothered about warranties.

He has decided to get a Dynamic EZH16 DVR. I have never come across them. Has anyone else used this before ?

Apparently, the police don't seem to know much about CCTV themselves. When asked for what criteria eg. fps etc for the system. They didn't have a clue.

6 fps is the lowest we will set it but if space isnt much of an issue then we sometime go as high as 12 fps,

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

Guest old-hand

The Dynamic is a nice machine easy to set up and use.

We have a lot of them out there and no problems.

This is a trade site, so I have no idea of the RRP..

As for FPS i set it up as good as possible for 31 days. Never less as above though, 6FPS.

Lol you have just found out how much the Police actually know unless its one of their "experts"

Hi there bob,

I dont know anything about the EZH16 but as a general rule 6FPS is usually more than enough (depending on what the view of the camera is and the reason for recording) and its vary rarely worth going over the 12 frames per second as the human eye will see 14fPS as almost "real Time". Anyone who says you need 25 fps really has never seen the diffrence between 12 and 25. (infact the only time you would need 25IPS IMO is for highspeed events like traffic monitoring and machinary monitoring etc). With regard to the quality this can be harder to advise as generaly this will depend on the compression method and the quality of the image being put in to the unit in the first place but again CIF or 2CIF is usually more than enough. For this i would advise a suck and see approch, while not being to technical if you run the system for 24h's then review theimages at diffrent times of the day and see if its acceptable. If not then change to the next level up and repeat the process. Time consuming i know but what might be great images during the day might well be unusable during lower light times.

Also as mentioned quite often the cheapest approach in the start isnt always the cheapest result in the long run, fiest thing to confirm with be the warrenty period given on the HDD when used with this recorder. As quite often if its not a specific security grade HDD they warrenty will only be a year. so say you have a 500Gb HDD, you might have to replace it every 14months which in itself isnt a cheap thing to do. Where as systems with security grade systems will give a longer warrenty on the HDD and therefore save in the long run.

Hope that this helps.

cheers

Dan

persoanlly i think 6 fps is slightly overkill for most applications (per channel)

as i have said before, 1 fps of quality is better than 25 fps of cr##

6 fps is fine though, but dont think that 4 is useless etc.

I was once told, its for security not video confrencing

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived