Security Installer Community

X-vision And Y3k

Flash

Hi All

(first post - be gentle)

I am after a cctv camera to start off my domestic cctv system. Eventually I'll want recording, network access and about 3 cameras, but I'm starting slowly...

I basically want a day/night external camera that can see about 20 ish metres in the dark, perferably vari-focal and is not dog ugly or huge (but still a visual deterrent rather than invisible), and around the 100 UK pounds mark.

I came up with this [The X-Vision VIS449E]:

http://www.y3k.com/product.php?xProd=670&xSec=1

But two things worry me:

1. y3k has got some pretty bad reviews on this forum (some time ago though);

2. X-Vision cameras seem to have had some not so good reviews generally, though this model is quite new and no reviews are available.

My questions therefore are:

Have you any good/bad experience of either y3k or X-Vision cameras?

Have you used the above camera?

Can you suggestion alternatives?

I'd be very grateful for any help as I'm been searching for a solution for a few days.

Thanks,

Flash

I can only imagine that the lack of replies mean either the supplier is not good or the hardware (or both).

In which case I'd really appreciate any recommendations of entry level day/night vari focal CCD cameras around the 100-200 pounds mark.

Even if you can just recommend a brand that would help.

Many thanks

Flash

Hi Flash,

I cannot really comment on the companies you mention BUT I can recommend a camera I've used on a few diy installations. the Samsung SCC-B9374, if you google it you'll see a company selling them for under

Hi J.

Thanks very much for your reply. I've just been looking at the SIR-4250. Looks like a good camera to me - small and lots of features. I've seen it for around 205 plus delivery. Thats still twice what I'd intended to spend though!

Wondering whether I can get twice the use by covering both the drive and back of house with it...and hence save money on a second camera ;-)

The dome camera I don't think would fit well in the space (on a wall under the grage eaves), though it looks like a good price.

Food for thought...

Hi All

Without wanting to get in to a debate, I will cover the points raised quickly, firstly hello to those of you that I met at Ifsec on the Y3K stand.

Your worries are understandable and I would like to put your mind at rest:

1. y3k has got some pretty bad reviews on this forum (some time ago though)

- this is correct the reviews were bad and were from a few years ago, they were all mainly from one person who is no longer on the forum, we asked Y3K to follow up every complaint and all were resolved, even though some were not product or service issues. Since then the service provided has been A1, any service issue has been dealt with quickly and efficiently.

2. X-Vision cameras seem to have had some not so good reviews generally, though this model is quite new and no reviews are available.

- not sure which reviews you refer too, the cameras have been reviewed by magazines and trustedreviews etc... and have had good reviews, they have also won Best Buy awards, at Ifsec (trade show) we received hundreds of positive comments about Xvision products

We have many resellers around the UK (including SECOM, ADT, CHUBB) and they will be able to supply you the equipment should you still not wish to buy from Y3K, all resellers receive special reseller prices so will be able to supply you at similar prices to y3k.com

I hope I have helped, finally I am always here to help with any Xvision enquiry you have, the guys on the forum (hopefully) should be able to back me up on that.

Thanks Peter.

It gives a newbie like me a little more confidence in a manufacturer that cares enough to reply on a forum such as this.

The delay in my decision as to what camera to opt for has resulted in some time for me to investigate some of the features of more expensive cameras, and I am now looking at ones such as the Samsung mentioned.

One thing I have to say to many cctv manufacturers and installers alike:

1) show some live footage of your cameras/software!

2) show pictures of your cameras in their typical positions on a wall etc so we can get a quick idea of the size of the camera;

2) get a decent web site (many are so annoying I can't be bothered to hang around);

The Samsung Techwin cameras have live footage and example pictures available so a novice like me can actually see what sort of quality you can get.

I am still undecided, but am hoping to make a final decision this week. Wish me luck.

Thanks,

Flash

I've used Y3K and X-vision cams on a number of occasions. I've never had any problems with them or the equipment.

The only negative I have about them is that everytime I have ordered something has been out of stock so I have had to wait for new stock to come in.

This won't stop me from continuing to use them.

Archived