Security Installer Community

Dvr Recommendations (4ch, Networked)

Flash

Hi All.

I'm after a DVR with the following features and don't know which to look at as there as so many makes. Any recommendations much appreciated:

4 (or 8) channel;

triplex/pentaplex;

decent frame rate;

networked;

good remote viewing capability (good resolution, control, mobile phone viewable);

good motion detection control (i.e. select multiple areas);

PTZ control;

buzzer alarm (optional);

ftp/email video/picture upon alarm;

remote controller;

possibility to use with IP cameras as well as analogue(is this possible?);

Don't need dvd/cd writer in it necessarily.

Been looking for hours so any pointers would really help!

Thanks,

Flash

I don't want to spend more than 3-400 pounds. I've been looking all over the place, but do not know where to focus my efforts (even a brand would help).

Whether or not IP camera's are included depends on budget. Idealy I would like them as I already have an axis camera that I'd like to include with the system.

I understand that I may need to compromise on some of my specification to fit budget.

Does that help?

I don't want to spend more than 3-400 pounds. I've been looking all over the place, but do not know where to focus my efforts (even a brand would help).

Whether or not IP camera's are included depends on budget. Idealy I would like them as I already have an axis camera that I'd like to include with the system.

I understand that I may need to compromise on some of my specification to fit budget.

Does that help?

Nope.

Your not gonna get the DBs for that money. And certainly not take the IP cam direct.

4 way dvr as a rough guide, and IMHO, anything less than 600 is a cheap unit.

600 - 1200 mid range

1200+ high end.

Some of your spec needs a high end machine.

Cant really help you on a budget machine as all i have used is the eneo stuff which to be fair was pretty good.

High end i can help with but doubt you want one.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

4 way dvr as a rough guide, and IMHO, anything less than 600 is a cheap unit.

600 - 1200 mid range

1200+ high end.

Some of your spec needs a high end machine.

Cant really help you on a budget machine as all i have used is the eneo stuff which to be fair was pretty good.

High end i can help with but doubt you want one.

Thanks. Maybe I should opt for a card then - I've an old PC I could use... Would that give me more options for the budget?

dunno, high end cards and software are more money than a high end dvr.

also when you say old pc, how old? Video needs a fair bit of power if using a pc.

If you look at milestone etc for the software then it will do what you want.

Again you have low cost alternatives, geovision, kodicom etc but id go for a midrange dvr over those anyday.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi All.

I'm after a DVR with the following features and don't know which to look at as there as so many makes. Any recommendations much appreciated:

4 (or 8) channel;

triplex/pentaplex;

decent frame rate;

networked;

good remote viewing capability (good resolution, control, mobile phone viewable);

good motion detection control (i.e. select multiple areas);

PTZ control;

buzzer alarm (optional);

ftp/email video/picture upon alarm;

remote controller;

possibility to use with IP cameras as well as analogue(is this possible?);

Don't need dvd/cd writer in it necessarily.

Been looking for hours so any pointers would really help!

Thanks,

Flash

Hi Flash,

Unfortunatly i doubt that you will find a unit out there that offers all of the above (espically at the budget that you have stated). and if you did find one that promised all of that, i would advise a serious bench test before committing to it.

One thing that i would say is out of the above features, how many are you actually going to use? as most the time a DVR will get spec'ed with all the usuall must haves and then it gets locked in a cabnet and not touched untill somthing happens. In which case things like pentaplex and mobile remote viewing is just an extra expense. (i have a total issue with remote viewing via mobile but thats for another rant). Quite often customers (end users) ask for all these features because they have read about them or been told thats what they need with out them actuly understanding what these systems do. For example activity dectection in DVR's is at best poor (i stand to be corrected) and should not be used as a primary alarm activation and IMO should only ever be used in an internal or very sterile enviroment. If a customer needs true VMD the the likes of the ADPRO Presidium is what is required and at is about

Have to agree with both James and Dan, put another way do not forget why you want a DVR in the first place! most of the features you have listed are next to useless if the DVR fails to record an incident in a decent picture quality/frame rate. If its advice you are looking for then I would say do not sacrifice reliablity and picture quality for the other features which you are likely to do at that budget.

Archived