Security Installer Community

Ip Cameras

jsb

Hi,

I'm looking at replacing my USB webcam (640x480) that watches over our drive with something with better night vision capabilities, and there seem to be two routes I could go down.

Get an "analogue" camera, such as a CC70 from rfconcepts, http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/colour_sony_ir.htm which has an exview sensor and built-in IR illuminators or a CC440 (http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/sony_day-night_camera.htm) which has a dual filter that appears to be swapped over automatically, and run this in conjunction with a USB frame grabber of some sort.

Or, get a night vision IP camera, such as http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/network_camera.htm which seems ok, and the total price is about the same.

An advantage of the "analogue" route is that I can add extra analogue cameras to the USB frame grabber for just the cost of the camera, but the resolution of the IP camera is much higher.

I'm not too bothered about the s/w, I've written my own simple s/w that does what I want for the time being.

I suppose I ought to consider a full blown DVR solution at some point, but at the moment don't have the funds for it.

I've considered the Axis 221? but that is very expensive.

Thanks

Jonathan

I stopped buying stuff from rfconcepts!! I sent them some stuf back and i had to wait 2,5-3 month to get my money back. and i sent them 20 emails and got one back after the last one. Never seen so bad support before!!

look IP cameras with SD card slot so u dont need nvr u can just record on sd card. I got here mobotix great pic, 16G sd card will last for month(on a motion det.) down side is that they r expencive!!

I stopped buying stuff from rfconcepts!! I sent them some stuf back and i had to wait 2,5-3 month to get my money back. and i sent them 20 emails and got one back after the last one. Never seen so bad support before!!

look IP cameras with SD card slot so u dont need nvr u can just record on sd card. I got here mobotix great pic, 16G sd card will last for month(on a motion det.) down side is that they r expencive!!

Ip cameras with an SD card are only good for certain aplications (internal), but if its anywhere near the public i would avoid them as the obvious, if the camera gets nicked/trashed then so does the recording of the person doing it.

Just a pov

cheers

Dan

if your camera is high up 5m what is the change that some one will take it or what ever, but there is bigger change that some one will break in to your house and steal your dvr nvr. i have both so im covered :) lol

5m up? how do you get at the sd card?

ANyway, ip cameras are fine and very good but dont skimp on them.

Id apply the same logic to non ipcameras, just cos it has a sony chip in it dont mean the rest of it is any good.

IMO the chip is just 1 link in quite a long chain, and the rest of it will let the chip down.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I'm afraid an SD card based solution is useless for my application, and there's nothing to stop someone coming along with a ladder and removing it.

I note your comments about the quality of the rest of the camera, though compared to a

5m up? how do you get at the sd card?

ANyway, ip cameras are fine and very good but dont skimp on them.

Id apply the same logic to non ipcameras, just cos it has a sony chip in it dont mean the rest of it is any good.

IMO the chip is just 1 link in quite a long chain, and the rest of it will let the chip down.

Once your cam is installed u dont need access to sd card. the mobotix cam i have there is webserver is built in . u can look everything over the network

Archived