Security Installer Community

Which Wireless System To Go For?

vRS

I have recieved a couple of quotes from some 'well known' alarm companies in my area but i'm not sure which one to go for.

There isnt much difference in the price for the equipment but they both have different costs for having it monitored.

Basically one company fits Honeywell Galaxy wireless systems and the other uses Visonic Powermax. I tried to get as much information about the model but all i got was its a Honeywell Galaxy and will come with fobs The Visonic Powermax system doesnt come with fobs. I would prefer to get one with the fob as its easier than having to put the number in all of the time.

Can i use fobs with the Powermax or just the Galaxy? How much do fobs cost on their own and are they relatively easy to program to the system?

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Rich

Both systems can run "fobs".

Both are easy to programme into each system.

Cost wise not a lot in it, depends on how much the reseller charges.

Both are good systems in their own way. The galaxy being the better of the two. Personally fitted both over the years never had any issues.

Galaxy will require hard wiring to keypad and external warning device.

Hi we use the Ion 16 or 40 and work well think the Galaxy is your best of the 2 you are :rolleyes: choosing from .

www.AllanMoncrieffAlarms.com

Thanks for the replies.

I've just been having a look online and it seems that the Powermax doesnt use the plastic fobs as such but a remote control keyring thing like a garage door opener (MCT-234).

I know that the company fitting the galaxy will wire the keypad to the panel, but i dont know if anything else will be wired. With the Powermax i think all the equipment is wireless. That's something that i will need to find out now.

Galaxy will be hard wired to the keypad, the EWD and the RF Portal. ( Wireless TX/RX)

Powermax is totally wireless.

Powermax fobs are indeed radio, where as Galaxy are used to present to the keypad. Although they do an arming one too.Similar to the Powermax.

I have recieved a couple of quotes from some 'well known' alarm companies in my area but i'm not sure which one to go for.

There isnt much difference in the price for the equipment but they both have different costs for having it monitored.

Basically one company fits Honeywell Galaxy wireless systems and the other uses Visonic Powermax. I tried to get as much information about the model but all i got was its a Honeywell Galaxy and will come with fobs The Visonic Powermax system doesnt come with fobs. I would prefer to get one with the fob as its easier than having to put the number in all of the time.

Can i use fobs with the Powermax or just the Galaxy? How much do fobs cost on their own and are they relatively easy to program to the system?

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers

Rich

Hi Rich,

i don't use either make, simplicity dictates i stay in-house with Risco kit as my maker of choice,, all have a good name within the trade,

in effect, it is like choosing your preferences between a ford focus and and say a vauxall astra, just e as sure as you can to et like for like estimates to make a better informed choice.

i would ask you to make very sure what you contract actually covers, especially in the way of any call outs and if you pay a premium for out of hours calls, thats not a critasism of any company but it is often not so clear to the the end user, and a call out on a bank holiday with some firms t&c;s can make your eyes water ;).

if your still stuck who to use, then i suggest if one was recommended by someone who's opinion you trust, then lean towards that firm.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Hi Rich,

i don't use either make, simplicity dictates i stay in-house with Risco kit as my maker of choice,, all have a good name within the trade,

in effect, it is like choosing your preferences between a ford focus and and say a vauxall astra, just e as sure as you can to et like for like estimates to make a better informed choice.

i would ask you to make very sure what you contract actually covers, especially in the way of any call outs and if you pay a premium for out of hours calls, thats not a critasism of any company but it is often not so clear to the the end user, and a call out on a bank holiday with some firms t&c;s can make your eyes water ;).

if your still stuck who to use, then i suggest if one was recommended by someone who's opinion you trust, then lean towards that firm.

Arfur

Thanks for the advice Arfur.

I will find out today about what maintenace, servicing and other items are included in my contract.

I actually gave both companies a couple of calls yesterday to find out some more info about the exact models of the panels etc and they were surprised to be getting asked lots of questions as most of their customers dont even bother. Both companies were happy to help and answered the questions for me but didnt really know off the top of their heads as really i was dealing with the 'salesmen' and not the installers/engineers.

Is there anything else that i should ask/find out about before choosing one of the systems?

As has been noted both are decent systems. Equipment is less than half the story mind, but wireless systems are harder to get wrong than wired.

The galaxy is a higher end system, i wouldnt say better as they each have there merits.

IMHO the visonic system is designed purly for domestics so would probably suit you better.

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived