Security Installer Community

Part P ?

Guest DPW

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting here so i hope i'm in the right section.

I have been in the alarm trade for aprox 14 years.for the last 11 working on my own.

Now for my question.At the weekend a brochure came in the post which you can veiw at www.partp.co.uk.I was wondering will it apply to me and other installers?I install mostly domestic alarms and security lighting.Part p seems very expesive.The only electrcal part of my job is fitting a fused spur,which i was taught how to do when i took my city and guilds (for intruder alarms).I do realise some cowboys have wired into cooker points etc.I would just like to know where i stand with part p.It is a bit confusing to me.I did not want to contact them straight away Because my guess would be they would say yes i do need it (even if i didn't).

Can anyone help?

Thanks for your time.

Welcome to the forum DWP, as yet im in the same boat as you, I have also seen there brochure and contacted the IEE to find out if I need to do the Part P thing, and not even they know... although she said she would get back to me!

Yes it will effect you and if you dont get on one of the umbrella schemes that allow you to self certify your work, all your installations will have to be norified and inspected by the local building control department(and presumably they will levy a charge)

Search for Part P on these forums, you will find that we have talked about this quite alot.

Colin.

Thank you for your replies.

Dale,let us know the outcome please.

Colin,who would i contact to get self certified?IEE or part p people?

I put part p into search but nothing came up.maybe have to learn how to use it properly.

Thanks again for your help

Im probably wrong here!

Ive just been reading a document at the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister web site and as i read it, adding a spur to an existing ring or radial dont need to be notified to the relevant dept's.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odp...breg_600372.pdf

See table 1 on actual sheet 38

Am i reading this right ?

Also i dont see how they can possibly police this as its wide open to any amount of abuse by all and sundry!

It does look as though u are correct, thats how I would read it as well, looks as if we would not be allowed to connect directly to the main consumer unit anymore though, will have to just tap into existing circuits.

This is kind of irritating me now, the more i think about it the worse i get!

Using this example where would i stand, just for your thoughts of course.

I fit a barrier to a plinth that a builder has provided. In the duct the builder has provided me with a 4mm 3 core steel wire armoured cable. When i have connected my end inside the barrier, the builder then connects his end by whatever means he finds suitable.

As far as i am concerned, his end is his problem so i pay no more attention to it.

How can i protect myself from someone blaming me for connecting the SWA to a 3 pin plug into a wall socket in an adjacent building. My point being that i am the one with the electrical knowledge not the builder?

Besides the obvious answer that i should have something in writting, i feel that there would be nothing to stop the builder from blaming me if the poo-poo hit the fan.

Ian,

Just read the link you posted.To me it looks as though part p will not apply to us.

Although if anything did go wrong I'm sure these people could twist words to make Out that it would apply to us.It is very annoying that they can't put it in simpler terms to let us know if it applys to us or not.No one seems to have a definate answer on this?Very annoying!!

Archived