Security Installer Community

Part P ?

Guest DPW

None of us are lawyers or Judges and that where it would be decieded if "WE DO or WE DO NOT" comply, so simply is it not better to ensure that we do comply and that you have proof that you are competent, than have to argue the point in a court.

As Ian has pointed out, not every installation is as clear cut as the regulations point out.

For the sake of some training that will show that you are competant, why take the risk!

Colin.

Its not the training competancy im bothered about.... its the bloody cost... its probably gonna add about £1k a year onto to membership costs to be part of something like NICEIC.

I know the confusion lads I spent 1hr speaking to NICEIC the other day just to clarify what I can and cant do and to be honest all she kept saying is you need to be registered with the correct qualifcations so in the end I have buckled and said sod it ile go on the 16 eddition cause. I have had to do this out of my own money but then I think it is a must if the goverment is going down this road and as colin sais its better to be competent then not.

Part p applies to all elec circs in domestic situations - you will "get away" with replacing sockets / switches but any installation work needs part p.

Try the ECA - we found them very helpful, we joined 12 months or so ago, not cheap and part p is now to cost the other arm and leg!!

Don't forget that you will need to fill out certs till they come out of your ears (partic if you do grant work for councils etc)

Fire Member

Guest badvoc

I also have had the part p leaflet which seems to say that as long as the minor works are not in a kitchen or bathroom there is no req. to notif. This is from the niceic website

Niceic website

Notifying electrical work

All proposed electrical installation work in dwellings will need to be notified to a building control body before work commences, unless:

Guest Guest

All that the ACT meters course does is say that on the day that you attended, that you received training in how to fit a fused spur and that you were able to demonstrate that you were competent fit one and test it.

COMPLETION OF THE COURSE DOESN'T ALLOW YOU FIT THEM, you must still comply with the 16th Edition and Electricity at work regulations and all other relevant standards. To do so you will need to get a C&G Qualification or an NVQ.

Colin.

Archived