Security Installer Community

Tape To Dvr Swap Advice

jmsjabb

I am looking into changing the way we record at work.

Currently we have 13 cameras, 2x multiplexers and 2x time lapse VCRs. This is all watched by 2x screens, each split into 9 windows. There also is a monitor upstairs split into 4. This is a permanent 4, not a swapping 4.

The Multiplexers are Advanced Technology Video DPX9 and Robot MV99e.

We use the system to watch people in the shop, mainly to see if they need assistance with out hassling them.

Looking at the system, only 9 cameras really NEED recording, the rest being small rooms with no means of exit outside.

Ideally I would like a minimum of 2 weeks recording before it starts over again. Quality / frame rate as good if not slightly better than the VCRs. They want to be continual recording and easy to use. With this system, no external ( Internet ) monitoring is needed and the kit I get will probably come from Ebay.

There is one seller on there who has a good range of Dedicated Micros stuff, all reset with passwords and software disks.

I ask therefore, what you recommend, and which DM machine is best, ( If you think that is the case )

Would I be better sticking to a 9 input rather than a 16?

With any option, I wish to still see all 13 cameras on the screen, split 9 a screen over the 2 screens, at any one point.

I will still have the option of the 2 multiplexers to split viewing if needed.

Over to you!

personally id go to 2 x 9 channel units as then youd have basically the same setup as now only recording in digital onto hard disk, plus the aded benefit you say youd not need to record the one set of 9 cameras because they are in small room, what happens in the event of an attack and the camera doesnt record that attack on a staff member so no prossecution is able, best thing would be change both vcr's and mux's to a digital video recorder and have everything recording.... :whistle:

"If you carry your childhood with you, you never become old. Why rush to end life when happiness is in the blissfulness of childhood innocence."

"We all die, the goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will."

have to agree, rcord all that deters staff from pilfering.

DM i think are one of the few not phone freindly for remote monitoring (if at all), so if you were out at the wholesalers or taking lunch, even in another part of the store and you wanted to check a camera, you might want to concider another DVR make.

as for recording you can always add hard drives upto several tera bytes, so 'the worlds you oyster' in that department on most makes.

Arfur

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Yep sound advice.

I would go for terabite HD`s in both just for the higher frame rates you want.

Then again much over 12FPS isnt that noticeable to the human eye.

Never usually go any higher than that unless asked.

Yep sound advice.

I would go for terabite HD`s in both just for the higher frame rates you want.

Then again much over 12FPS isnt that noticeable to the human eye.

Never usually go any higher than that unless asked.

I would say 6FPS, but yeah.

the dm is a fine and flexible machine but its not good a high framerates. Its a jpeg machine that also does mpeg4 (assuming its a new one)

its great at jpeg, its poor at mpeg.

If you want high quality low framerate images then yes the dm is for you. But i feel your looking at a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Even the poorest dvr currently made will be an improvement on vhs.

You may be going down the wrong road trying to buy an old range rover when you really need a new kia

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Archived