Security Installer Community

Vcl Ptz Help

Ive just picked up a VCL PTZ. Ive powered it up and connected it to a TV just to test it. I think its working ok but I'm not 100% sure. It displays a picture but the camera is set to some sort of sequence. The dome is turning, the camera is tilting, zooming and focusing, it just keeps on repeating the same sequence over and over. I was hoping to connect this to my computer via a RS232 to RS485 adaptor, when I plug the adaptor into the computer using a free trial of some PTZ software I can't control the camera.

check that the protocols are the same eg Pelco D at camera and controller.

Originally said by Charles Babbage
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

Can you put up a link to the dome make/model and to the free ptz software.

Quick check list:

1)Protocols

2) Baud Rates

3) Address

4) Polarity of RS485

5) Check data is being sent out the port when a function is selected (put an LED across the connections it should light when a signal is being sent)

Check that data is exiting the port each time a command is being sent. This will verify the basics are right with the PC and software before getting to protocols, etc.

Can you describe all of the connections on the data line, from PC to PTZ and everything in between?

Archived