Security Installer Community

Initial Cable run installation advice needed

Guest Blaze

Guest Blaze

Hi,

I am currently wiring my house with power, network and alarm (and some tv and bt points too).

Some cables can be looped and some need to go back to source each time.

My question is with regards to 6 core alarm cable. I can currently gain good access to all floorboards and able to run all cables back to a downstairs cupboard (away from the power).

I have an 8 Zone alarm system and plan the following:-

Zone 1 = Front Door with Door Contact

Zone 2 = Side Door with Door Contact

Zone 3 = Back Door with Door Contact

Zone 4 = Downstairs Hall and Study with 2 PIRs (one in each)

Zone 5 = Lounge with 2 PIRs

Zone 6 = New Extension with 2 PIRs

Zone 7 = Upstairs Landing with PIR and Door (window) Contact

Zone 8 = Garage with Door Contact

I currently have Zones 1, 2, 3, 8 running back to the Control Panel with a single 6 core cable in each zone (4 cables).

I also plan to have a single cable per zone go to Zones 4, 5, 6 and 7 but I am aware that 2 devices will be on each of these zones.

Is it best for a cable to be run from each PIR (when there are 2 in one zone) back to the control panel ? or, can I run a cable to the first PIR and then run a cable from the first to the second, if so, does the second cable need to go back to the Control Panel.

OR, should there be just one cable run from PIR to Door Contact to PIR back to the Control Panel, with another single cable for the keypad ? (and bell) ??

Help with advice on the cable run would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's best to take every cable back to the control panel, then when you upgrade your control panel you havent got to re-wire sensors that were daisy chained.

Personaly, if you have that many zones then you need a bigger alarm system as it is never a good idea to daisy chain sensors as it can cause more faults and its harder to diagnose faults and you dont know exactly which zones someone has broken in to.

What alarm panel do you currently have?

Dale

Guest Blaze

Dale, Thanks for your very quick response.

The alarm system is a Pyronix Sterling 10. I am aware that ideally one sensor per zone should be fitted. I may be able to reduce some of the zones to a single PIR but would need at least one zone (zone 7) to have a window contact and PIR.

In this instance, would you recommend a cable from both the window contact and a cable from the PIR to go back to the Control Panel ?

cheers.

Its best to have a cable from both devices running back to the control panel then when you get a bigger panel you can have the window sensor activated in night mode, as you cant really have the PIR activated at night as people will need to go to the toilet!

I think there is a sensor somewhere that has a glass break detector and PIR in one unit, but I have never tried them so cant comment?

If your gonna go to the touble and expense of fitting that many sensors you might as well pay the extra and get a larger system, then you are not going to have to think about upgrading the panel in the future and you will have much more features as well as making the system more compliant with current regulations.

Dale

Problem with having more than 1 PIR on a zone is , how will you know which one activated? The PIRs need to be latching and you need more than 6 core cable. Far easier and effective to get another panel with enough zones.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Lets be honest - the Sterling 10 is not the world's most reliable / robust panel. Couple that with two detectors per zone and you may as well buy an alarm clock that goes off every hour, on the hour...

Sorry to be harsh, but if you're gonna do it - do it properly!

D7

Guest RICHL

Another vote for the British Standards from me aswell. If you're going to do it then at least do it in the spirit of a proper job.

The sterling 10 is bottom of the range, cheap and chearfull gear. Avoid it. Get a panel with more zones and run all cables from each detector back to it - some better panels have remote zone expansion, which may help you to reduce wiring runs.

I agree with richl and D7. You could get another panel with 16 zones so you could fit all your sensors, smoke detectors and a pa button in appropriate places . You could try the Scanny 9751

What other devices are you using sounders pirs etc.

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

... I personally wouldnt use Pyronix to prop my door open let alone secure my property.

Pete

19719[/snapback]

I am glad I am not the only one to feel that way, we fitted a sterling 10 as a price match job. Biggest mistake I ever make it still haunts us.

Trade Member

Archived