Security Installer Community

New Camera Install, Ip Or Analogue With Baluns?

Driller

Howdy,

I'm setting up a new place of work and have got to the point of considering security cams. Having installed a few decent analogue systems there is now the choice of going IP.

It's going to be a system with 5 cameras, one interior in the waiting room, four exterior including one for door entry along with an audio entry system. The building is single storey and as such there is a 700mm wide concrete lip all the way around under which the cams will be mounted.

Access for pulling cables and even re-pulling will be easy as drop tile ceilings.

My questions are:

1) Are IP cams worth it for this application? Would you go IP, analogue + baluns or good old coax/12V analogue?

2) Are there any major difficulties in installing IP compared to analogue for a (seasoned) amateur?

3) Would you be tempted to install a less rugged camera under this lip knowing it will be totally protected from many of the elements?

4)How much should I spend to get decent IP kit including an NVR. Is Axis still the favoured make round here?

:cheers::'> guys.

1) Are IP cams worth it for this application? Would you go IP, analogue + baluns or good old coax/12V analogue?

Personally id use IP if you want megapixel, if your doing standard definition id use analogue

2) Are there any major difficulties in installing IP compared to analogue for a (seasoned) amateur?

As long as you understand setting up address, dhcp leases etc then no.

3) Would you be tempted to install a less rugged camera under this lip knowing it will be totally protected from many of the elements?

No

4)How much should I spend to get decent IP kit including an NVR

depends on the res you want. NVR id use a pc and software. (if i was you, i wouldnt do this as we have our own nvr system)

. Is Axis still the favoured make round here?

For mid range yes, but high end id use iqeye

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Hi Driller, welcome back.

The thing to remember is that IP is just a transmission method, nothing more. The choice to go IP or an alternative should be based on the requirements, personally I would not go IP for the sake of it and if you plan to stay with standard definition cameras I would see little or no advantage with IP for your application.

If you wish to go 1080p cameras for example, you have a choice of IP or HD-SDi, HD-SDi would be much more familiar to you from your previous experience (coax based), if you wish to go higher than that IP is your only real alternative at the moment.

I would go for HD-SDI as Digital witness said. You have experience in Coax/balun based so stick with that.

We onlt fit Axis IP cams and i have to say they are very very good. These are normally controled by Adpro Fastrace 2.

!

Hi Guys and thanks for the warm welcome DW :)

Thanks for all the info, I hadn't seen these HD-SDI cams before so am looking into that right now.

After looking at the replies my next important question appears to be " so do I need standard res, 1080p or megapixel"? ( I guess only experience can decide that).

Field of view no problem, I can calculate on that. As far as the quality goes, is higher quality not always better (more detail on images) at the expense of higher prices of course?

These 1080p HD-SDI jobbies would presumably give a nice improvement over bog standard analogue and perhaps megapixel is overkill...

More digging needed.

For HD-SDi you would be considered an early adopter, some compatibility issues remain so you have to ensure the cameras work with the recorder, one standard that exists is HDcctv.

BTW 1080p is Megapixel level (2MP), which would be roughly 5 times the resolution of analog cameras.

As ADi has pointed out, due to the early adaptor stage, prices vary significantly. I have seen 4 channel prices at reasonable money and some cameras but watch the frame rate and resolution, twice the frame rate can mean twice the price at the moment. 8 & 16 channel DVRs are also on the expensive side at the moment. But I believe even at this early stage your getting more "camera" for your money compared to many IP alternatives but ofcourse that would depend on the reseller.

If you have any questions, you know where we are lol

Archived