Security Installer Community

Should I Get It Connected Up To An Arc?

RC944

I guess it depends on how much work you have If you have the time why not do bells only. Especially ones you can get a contract on. My old place we had about 300 bells only and around 150 monitored. 

That's 450 people that have our alarms. People know people, word of mouth is the best advertising and most of the work we did was word of mouth and we got plenty of leads from the bells only ones that were for monitored systems. If someone just flat out said they didn't want to do my alarm because I didn't want to spend more on something i didn't feel i needed i won't be recommending them to anyone. 

I don't really see the point in turning away the bells only. It keeps the guys working and work is work especially in this recession. 

If you have enough work to turn away the bells only why not get another engineer?

What I've started doing on all our quotes, is specifying (for example) 2B with police as default but on the acceptance form it's broken down that the customer has to select the bells only installation with a monitored "add on".  This way even if we didn't quite make the monitored sale then we're making good money from the install.  The whole spec/quote document is very heavily loaded with monitored this and that so by the time you get to the bottom line at the end, hopefully, the only answer is monitored.

I don't really see the point in turning away the bells only. It keeps the guys working and work is work especially in this recession. 

If you have enough work to turn away the bells only why not get another engineer?

If a customer realy only want a bells only then pass this on to your engineer. Our guys tell me they arent intrested anymore as they can earn more working weekend for the co than they can make out of a bells only job. have you seen the prices being quoted for domestic instal. One thing a bells only customer cant compare is quality because they are ignorant of the facts.

Customers!

I guess it depends on how much work you have If you have the time why not do bells only. Especially ones you can get a contract on. My old place we had about 300 bells only and around 150 monitored. 

That's 450 people that have our alarms. People know people, word of mouth is the best advertising and most of the work we did was word of mouth and we got plenty of leads from the bells only ones that were for monitored systems. If someone just flat out said they didn't want to do my alarm because I didn't want to spend more on something i didn't feel i needed i won't be recommending them to anyone. 

We keep hiring new engineers, but they are an expensive resource and there is so much profitable work around the bells only stuff just doesn't have the margins in it to bother, especially on the recur billing front. I'd need 200 bells only maintenance contracts to equal the same turnover as the average high school we do and I'd need to do 600 bells only maintenance contracts to make the same profit that we do out of the average school. Its much easier looking after 1 customer than 600.

The old saying, turnover is vanity and profit is sanity. There are plenty of sparks prepared to do that type of work for very little money which is a shame as it is only the lack of profit that turns us away from doing it.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived