Security Installer Community

Advice On Installation Location

jamez79

Hi,

Recently moved house and want to get alarm installed asap.

I have a texecom veritas excel control panel and would appreciate your advice on what to consider when choosing where to install it....

Can I take a fused spur off a lighting circuit and install the pcb in the loft? Is it better to spur off ring main?

Would it get too hot in the loft during the summer? (Ignoring last summer's weather that is!)

I have an airing cupboard so could install in there, but would that also be too warm?

I would like to have a contact on the garage door but found I had a few false alarms using a surface mount door contact on my last house and ended up having the double knock feature on to reduce the false alarms. Is there a better alternative?

Any other tips would be greatly received also.

I don't think I'll have any issues with routing cables as the floor boards will be up and the plasterboard is dabbed onto the walls so I have a void to fish them down if needs be.

Thank you in advance..

James

Understairs cupboard, attatched garage or built in wardrobe are some of the better places for the end station. As you mention, there can be issues with the temperatures of lofts and airing cupboards which will upset the battery. Mains supply ideally needs to come from it's own MCB in the consumer unit, however there's no problem with spurring off the ring main. I don't see a major issue with coming off the lighting circuit but others would probably disagree. There's nothing in 7671 to say expressly that you can't.

As for false alarms from a door contact, unless it's faulty/badly terminated or the door can move enough when locked then you should not be getting false alarms from it. Could have been a cable fault too. NEVER double knock a contact as the door would have to be opened, closed then opened again for the alarm to trigger! Double knock is a bodge at the best of times but is absolutely never suitable for use with contacts. Find the fault rather than mask it through the programming. You can get specially made "heavy duty" contacts that are sealed and made from metal which are suitable for garage doors. You'll also need a 6 way junction box to terminate it in.

Trade Member

Hi,

Recently moved house and want to get alarm installed asap.

I have a texecom veritas excel control panel and would appreciate your advice on what to consider when choosing where to install it....

Can I take a fused spur off a lighting circuit and install the pcb in the loft? Is it better to spur off ring main? You can so long as you are competant, personally though the ring main is a better choice if the bulb blows on a lighting circuit the trip will go too.

Would it get too hot in the loft during the summer? (Ignoring last summer's weather that is!) Will be cold in the winter and hot in the summer this will expand and contract on the pcb I would find a cupboard somewhere

I have an airing cupboard so could install in there, but would that also be too warm? The temp will be more constant

I would like to have a contact on the garage door but found I had a few false alarms using a surface mount door contact on my last house and ended up having the double knock feature on to reduce the false alarms. Is there a better alternative? There was something wrong with A the contact or B your fitting, there are millions of contacts out there that work perfectly well

Any other tips would be greatly received also. Dont pee up wind in a storm

I don't think I'll have any issues with routing cables as the floor boards will be up and the plasterboard is dabbed onto the walls so I have a void to fish them down if needs be.

Thank you in advance..

James

I don't see a major issue with coming off the lighting circuit but others would probably disagree. There's nothing in 7671 to say expressly that you can't.

Spikes from switching lights on and off?

Horrible interference with energy saving bulbs?

Use a heavy duty (shutter) contact on your garage door.

Spikes from switching lights on and off?

Horrible interference with energy saving bulbs?

It's got to be a pretty ***** panel if it doesn't like lights being switched on and off! I'd say there were much 'dirtier' things, electrically speaking, on the ring main. Just my opinion.

Trade Member

It's got to be a pretty ***** panel if it doesn't like lights being switched on and off! I'd say there were much 'dirtier' things, electrically speaking, on the ring main. Just my opinion.

Agreed although its not specifically banned, I'd feel as if I'd done something rough not putting it on the ring main or dedicated breaker.

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Archived