Security Installer Community

Bit of advice.

I've been asked to do an installation that consists of 1 camera mounted indoors 12m away from the objects it's going to be recording. I was thinking I'll be needing a 4.3mm lens on a 1/3" CCD camera, sound about right?

Next query, I'm going to be using a DVR (possibly with LAN connection, but not essential) but I can't find any with sound inputs, and if I could I've hit of a brick wall with regard to microphones.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

What is the required field of view..?

21729[/snapback]

About 5mx3m, ish. It's to monitor the activities of the 2 staff in an office. (I haven't actually had a close look at the job yet, I'm just going off what I've been told on the phone).

Is there a networked pc nearby?

A covert pir/camera with audio is available and would be ideal, hooked up to a DVR PC card.

21769[/snapback]

I thought about that but I don't think that anything that could be easily turned off by other users inadvertantly would be such a good idea, at least with a DVR people know not to turn it off. The other thing is the restarting after a power failure, once the PC is switched off it won't start up again until someone turns it on, which could be a few days if it's over a weekend or bank holiday etc..

A 4mm lens would give around a 90 degree field of view, so if mounted in the corner could more or less cover the whole room.

If on the other hand you just wanted to concentrate on the area specified at 12 meters away with a 5 meter field of view an 8 or 12mm lens might be better.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived