Security Installer Community

Replace Alarm Panel

I am considering replacing my old Chubb Windsor Alarm panel that I installed about 18 years ago with a Castle Castle Euro Mini Prox or Euro 46 Panel.
I am hoping there are some Castle users/installers here that can help...

My requirements are as follows:-
10 Zones minimum
3 Keypads
Option for system set output without loosing any of the 10 zones.
Option to show system set light on keypad?
Option to connect to PC
Option to send SMS messages.

I think I will have to stretch to the Euro 46 panel for all the options, I have a rough idea but can anyone on here give me some idea of the kit I need?

Having the system set light on a keypad doesn't meet the regs.

Have you tried asking a local company for a quote ? I'd say you should go with that option

Yes, I agree a set light doesn't meet with regs but as it is for myself not too worried about that, I have separate red/green set/unset lights adjacent to first floor keypad to confirm if system is part set at night and to remind me to unset before going downstairs.

I haven't asked a local company yet, I may consider that if I knew which companies near me install Castle kit, although I feel I should be doing it myself after 30 years installing, servicing and selling systems.. but I know things have moved on since I packed up 12 years ago...

Connecting a pc will be hard, most udl software is not available

I thought it was just a matter of downloading the software, however I guess it isn't that necessary to have this option as usually once a home system is programmed it isn't usually changed that often afterwards.

Mini does neither SMS or PC connection.

Set light on rkp? Stuff used to show unset...

Yes that is what I thought, have to be Euro 46 if i want SMS I guess.

I read that the unset light only shows momentarily, if it could be continous that would be the answer......

You could use the comms outputs to trip a separate led.

Used the mini a few years ago but haven't looked at them for a while. Think I can just about remember how to get into engineers.

Risco LightSys fits the bill, come's 8 zones on board, add 2 16 zone  expanders.

if your detectors are that old i'd suggest consider replacements, things have moved on dramatically such as better anti force alarm tech, insect resistance, white light rejection, pet resistant even external detection etc. and if you use their BUS detectors you don't need zone expanders.

if you want to know its condition add a voice module, connect phone line it can call you, add a GSM module it will call or text you and you can listen in or talk 2 way, scare the girdle  of the mother-in-law ;). set/unset/part set. All just using your mobile phone, it becomes a keypad perhaps saving on having 2 extra fixed ones.

from the above you can see while you can obviously change your old panel out diy and do no doubt a reasonable job, its a bit like me doing the washing, I can fix it, install it I can even put clothes in and turn it on - and fill the utility room knee deep with soap bubbles, I end up with red underwear,

while I can still wear them, the wife being an expert is far better at programming and using the washing machine.- and the right detergents ;)

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived