Security Installer Community

Access Control System Advice

icoraycheff

Deleted as cubit has already asked for card spec

And still waiting.

Im guessing he has mifare cards which will work on a wide range of networked access control.

Im assuming they want to install different kit with existing cards.

Icoraycheff were you hoping to get names card no ect from the existing database and transfer into you proposed new system? Or re- enrolling all the cards on new and start a fresh?

Problem is the format of the output of the reader, and, based on current info. You aren't reading the cards without knowing the security keys.

For example.

MSN - any mifare serial reader will give you the 32bit number. HID iClass toot will also read this but gives out a 32bit weigand version (not the same, correct number).

Mifare sector (or equivalent smart card) - no sector key, then no read = no card number.

Understood, ive taken over a site that was running i believe 34bit from the readers, and ours 26bit, as you say the number generated is different.

Thats why i asked about stored db card numbers as they may be different format to "the new" system.

As for sector keys i have no idea what your on about but thats why your'e the top man for access control :)

Out of interest, are there systems which have different output formats on the different readers installed? Can imagine that would get pretty complicated back at the server!

We toyed with this but was told "one off readers would be required for this to work

Understood, ive taken over a site that was running i believe 34bit from the readers, and ours 26bit, as you say the number generated is different.

Thats why i asked about stored db card numbers as they may be different format to "the new" system.

As for sector keys i have no idea what your on about but thats why your'e the top man for access control :)

Out of interest, are there systems which have different output formats on the different readers installed? Can imagine that would get pretty complicated back at the server!

We toyed with this but was told "one off readers would be required for this to work

On smart cards (generalising) the memory sectors are protected by read/write keys. The card reader has to be programmed with the key information to be able to read the sector. This may be via the specific sector or via the address directory. Sensible customers specify what the key is and control its use. Others just get a system foisted onto them by the installer who then effectively has full control of everything.

The number format stored within the 'sectors' can be to the customers own choosing.

For example, in simple terms it just be a 10 digit sequential number in standard C&D format right through to say a 20 digit number that is used in several applications.

This number will contain a sequential string but you need to know where in the complete string the relevant detail is - as well as knowing the sector keys of course. The rest of the complete string will usually be codes for other applications such as school facilities.

Some systems can be programmed to read specific parts of a card number. The classic one was the Golf Club members card. These were traditionally mag stripe cards with say a 16 digit number. Eg middle 8 or last 8 digits. Other systems may not be so flexible.

You also get weigand in various formats. EG, 26 bit, 27 bit, 32, 34, 35 etc.

Not all readers/controllers are able to be modified to read the different formats and or/select the relevant bits.

Hope that simplifies it.

Archived