Security Installer Community

New Opentap Number - No Registration

ChrisMurphy

simpler james, Texe may have this as default soon.

Yes agreed monitoring is better but if people are going to use tap they should at least use a service that is intended for that use. You know as I do the  problem with vodas server. We should not be using it really.

+ if sms via pstn is 50p per call it means monitoring/gsm diallers become more viable, compared to the 18p option :)

The industry should get tough on it, do it properly at 50p or do it a different way. Using voda one is like a ticking time bomb for complaints

Chris,

just walked into this after being away for a week, i have your email, but i have not made a decision, so please don't second guess what i may or ,may not decide to do. I applaud the fact that you are striving to promote a service that people quite clearly want, and still use, BUT i see no benefit to anybody in us providing this as the default number for this service.

This form of notification for end users has a limited life, we could have set up a service ourselves within a day of the O2 service dying, but decided not too. I am gobsmacked that ARC's have not jumped on this as a short term means of making revenue. SMS over PSTN has a limited life, there are better wys of notifying the end user, and whilst we will still provide the numbers for the Open Tap service when asked, making it the default option on our panels is not likely, it's just not high on our list of things to do.

Sorry if i have pissed on your fireworks, but IMHO this is not the future, it is a temporary fix until hardware costs for other methods of signalling become more realistic for everyone.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Chris,

just walked into this after being away for a week, i have your email, but i have not made a decision, so please don't second guess what i may or ,may not decide to do. I applaud the fact that you are striving to promote a service that people quite clearly want, and still use, BUT i see no benefit to anybody in us providing this as the default number for this service.

This form of notification for end users has a limited life, we could have set up a service ourselves within a day of the O2 service dying, but decided not too.

when we first spoke of this over a year ago, you made it clear to me that Texecom had failed to manage to set up a sms centre!

you could do it on a bt line only.

Either I misunderstood you or something else is going on.

I clearly remember you were surprised/impressed that we got it working properly as were other manufacturers..

To say "we could have set 1 up in a day and decided not to" is either misleading people now or you were not clear with me originally when we discussed all this.

I am gobsmacked that ARC's have not jumped on this as a short term means of making revenue. SMS over PSTN has a limited life, there are better wys of notifying the end user, and whilst we will still provide the numbers for the Open Tap service when asked, making it the default option on our panels is not likely, it's just not high on our list of things to do.

Having the Voda one as default is like a ticking time bomb imo

Sorry if i have pissed on your fireworks, but IMHO this is not the future, it is a temporary fix until hardware costs for other methods of signalling become more realistic for everyone.

Totally understand it's not the future, but as you say there are people that clearly want it and still use it.

30 years of experience, ssaib approved family business.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

http://alarmguard.co.uk

Chris,

what we could or could not have done with am bunch of GSM devices is not the point. It is not hard to do, it is just a pain to manage, that is why we did not do it. We don't have a 24/7 team that could manage the hardware and software in the case of issues.

The point is you have said that Texe are likely to make this the default number, this is before I have responded to the email you sent me, your post was potentially  misleading for other readers of the forum, a little more clarity on the actual situation would have been better.

Agree the Voda number is a time bomb, but for me it is all about priorities, and this is not one for me at this point in time.

amealing@texe.com

Head of Industry Affairs

Visit Our Website
Texecom

Chris,

what we could or could not have done with am bunch of GSM devices is not the point. It is not hard to do, it is just a pain to manage, that is why we did not do it. We don't have a 24/7 team that could manage the hardware and software in the case of issues.

The point is you have said that Texe are likely to make this the default number, this is before I have responded to the email you sent me, your post was potentially  misleading for other readers of the forum, a little more clarity on the actual situation would have been better.

Agree the Voda number is a time bomb, but for me it is all about priorities, and this is not one for me at this point in time.

Thats cool but did say they MAY because saw it as a possibility, this was based on .......texecom had a genuine desire to make the sms service your panels use reliable. And the problem with opentap and been default was the registration process,,,

Apologies if it was misleading in any way but I clearly said they may, that is a far less likely term than they are likely to. And I hope it was taken this way by all that read it.

We have a very long list of clients that we are very proud chose to use us. We have never bought out any other company or forced anyone to use us. All of our customers are free to leave us whenever they wish, yet very few ever have. This is down to the fact that we always put our best into every job.

what the majors have stopped using their sister co's?...

I get ure point though :)

But for the thousands of people that were sold sms alerts it is a high priority, when the voda sms centre gets turned off I can see a whole new wave of complaints.

Don't think this issue will bother the nationals tbh norm, but lots of the smaller installers and unapproved co's were selling the S##t out of sms alerts a few years back, and I presume many still are.

simpler james, Texe may have this as default soon.

Suggests imminent.

Thats cool but did say they MAY because saw it as a possibility, this was based on .......texecom had a genuine desire to make the sms service your panels use reliable. And the problem with opentap and been default was the registration process,,,

May never too.

Two totally different outcomes.

I'd say Adrian let you off lightly.

Archived