Security Installer Community

Wireless System

Guest ian boldon

Guest ian boldon

Hi,

I'm currently getting a new house built and the builders wanted £800 to install an alarm system (I thought this was way expesnive so told them to shove it)

Any way as its a brand new house I don't want to be carving up walls to trail wires etc etc. So I was thinking about getting a wireless system.

Is this a good idea ?? What type would you recommend ?

I'm looking to pay £200 - £300 is this reasonable, or am i way short.

I think I'd need 4 PIRS, and probably 4 - 5 door / windows contacts.

Have looked on B&Q site but wasn't to impressed, and they only seem to have 2 PIR's in a box!! Is this normal?

Thanks for all your help and recommendations in advance.

Ian

Ian yes you are way short. The B+Q systems arnt worth the box they come in. If you wanted to fit your own alarm you could , But i would not recomend a wireless one . Their reliability record is appauling . They also cost much more than the same specification wired system. :no:

Dave Oxendale

York based security systems engineer.

Guest ian boldon
Ian yes you are way short. The B+Q systems arnt worth the box they come in. If you wanted to fit your own alarm you could , But i would not recomend a wireless one . Their reliability record is appauling . They also cost much more than the same specification wired system.  :no:

23286[/snapback]

But would a wired system create loads of meass, cutting into walls etc etc?

I helped my Father instal his wired system a few months ago, and it was a right farce, but at least i now know how to do it, so installing again shouldn't be too bad. Just worried about the mess etc (The wife will kill me :) )

Guest ian boldon
If the house has only just been built the mess wont be too bad as you could use the floor boards. if planned correctly it should be easy.

23289[/snapback]

Don't think I'll have floor boards, will be concrete floors.

Don't think I'll have floor boards, will be concrete floors.

So is it even built yet? Is it a bungalow?

If it is a one off build by a local builder, then DEFINATELY go for a wired sytem, have the cables installed just after the plumbers and electrics, and have it second fixed when the plaster is dry.

OR, if this is a build you are buying off a developer (eg. Wimpey), then the £800 they quoted you will be a naff job installed by their contractors. Your options are therefore:

1) Pay the £800 quid and get a tidy, crapsystem.

2) After moving in get a tidy,**** wirefree system.

3) Get a proper installation firm in - we fit wired systems in new houses with no cables showing. There will be installers in your area who do the same. TIP - have it done before any new carpets/flooring go down and make them plenty of tea. You will wonder how they hid all the cables :)

Some builders will get the sparky to pre-wire the house in alarm cable (cost £100-125 :w00t: ), allowing you to pick your own equipment later .

I think I'd need 4 PIRS, and probably 4 - 5 door / windows contacts.

get a reputable firm to give you a quote. :)

Guest cctvmaintenance

Hi,

I have both a hardwired system and wirefree solar system. The hardwire system is great and so is the solar wirefree system.

The wireless system has been up and running for 4 years without fault, my only concern would be how easily a pro burglar could hack the key fob code.

Any pro installer would say no to a wirefree system but I have to say that my one has lived through every test I have thrown at it !

Just my opinion,

Mick

Guest TheCabbage

Oh dear me, £200-£300 to protect all your worldly goods that thats cost most of your families income up to now, and a house your going to be paying for to the end of your days, you cheap **** it costs more for a meal for two in a decent restaurant or does the poor girl have to make do with a bag of chips, shame on you.

Ask a decent local approved installer to provide some advice and a FREE quote.

Guest ian boldon

Oh dear me, £200-£300 to protect all your worldly goods that thats cost most of your families income up to now, and a house your going to be paying for to the end of your days, you cheap **** it costs more for a meal for two in a decent restaurant or does the poor girl have to make do with a bag of chips, shame on you.

Ask a decent local approved installer to provide some advice and a FREE quote.

23300[/snapback]

Blimey That put me in my place didn't it!! :D

I aint got a clue on what prices hence I'm asking you lot.

Its a build from Wimpey, and your right the one they instal will be Sh*** if its anything like the rest of the stuff they try and palm off on you.

Anybody provide any decent firms in the north East area?

Archived