Security Installer Community

Veritas 8 - Weird

foxoles

Hi,

My dad's Veritas 8 alarm is doing weird things, that the original installer has given up trying to solve.

He says he has contacted the manufacturers for a solution, but as to whether he has.....

The alarm works fine when set, but occasionally (no pattern) it goes off when it is not set - Dads just watching telly.

Some days it does it and it can go a few days without doing it, but late afternoon or early evenings are most common.

The exterior alarm box doesn't sound, but the internal sounder does.

You have to put in the code to shut it up, and press reset.

The tamper light usually lights as well, and occasionally some or all of the zone lights.

The installer has changed the battery and has replaced the main board.

Any suggestions?

I still think its the battery.

The tamper light usually lights as well, and occasionally some or all of the zone lights.

Not sure how these systems display trouble but assume this is a tamper then.

It will likely be a break in the wiring or tamper switch on a device. This can be intermittent, i.e.

not causing a problem all the time.

The installer has changed the battery and has replaced the main board.

Any suggestions?

I still think its the battery.

Get him or her back. You might have needed the battery, and this is unlikely to be the issue.

Jurys out on the new board... all wiring and device tamper contacts / loops need to be thoroughly checked. 

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

My dad's Veritas 8 alarm is doing weird things, that the original installer has given up trying to solve.

He says he has contacted the manufacturers for a solution

I'd suggest the "installer" doesn't know what they are doing.

There is an intermittent tamper fault and could be caused by any number of things.

The engineers log will give you a very rough idea.

I don't know why anyone would think the panel would be at fault, this is the last thing I'd expect to cause a tamper fault.

Thanks for the replies - more info.

The alarm was installed about 10 years ago he thinks (dad's 85 and can't always remember stuff accurately)

He also had squirrels in his loft a few years ago that "might" have chewed a few cables in areas we can't see.

The installer had a look round, but doesn't think its the cables, or a least didn't suggest replacing them.

So, are we thinking cable damage would cause these symptoms.

Would you start again from scratch?

Thanks

I'll come to you in a minute Rulland :)

This is my point exactly, he doesnt think its the cables, wtf, he should 'know' its not the cables.

Yesterday i had a builder mate of mine on the phone, i have done a lot of work various buildings for him over the years Multi-storey student buildings)

His sparks, who i know, has been trying to sort out some intercom issues on a site, he's ran out of time, or whatever and is on another site now.

Builder said sparks has been pulling new cable up a 6 storey building as he has a feeling it 'may' be a cable issue wtf..

I said im sure as .... going to pull new cable in because i had a feeling??

Rulland - as above. I know not all sparks are the same, but i do believe, in my experience - your a minority.

The vast majority of sparks ive met over the years do not know how to use a multimeter. 

The above builders sparky boasts to me he does fire, no doubt under the watchful eye of someone else.

One of our sites needed an additional AFD, landlord tight as, so used said sparky to run the cable, for me to connect.

Ran cable to sounder circuit, again wtf, he said well its all red cable!

ouch!, some of us do both.......and are good...........

PS, are we still friends lol :)

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived