Security Installer Community

Which System?

pduk

Hello:

I've recently moved house and looking to install an alarm system (again).

My brother and I have previously installed the Scantronic 9600 alarm systems in our previous houses. We are not in the alarm system trade (software programmers during the day!) but found that this was a simple, reliable system as well as very cheap to pick up second hand from ebay.

I want to try something new with a bit more capability but within reasonable price level and something not massively more complicated than installing the scantronics we used to use.

It would be good to be able to log into the system using a PC/mobile: to look at logs, use my mobile while I am out and about to check system status, which zones have triggered in the event of the alarm going off etc.

I want to stick to a wired system, I have the floorboards up anyway as we re-decorate so it's no trouble running the wires.

We only need about 5 PIR sensors, 2 door contacts, 2 Panic Buttons and 2 fire detectors.

I'm also thinking of a couple discrete outdoor cameras, but the benefit of integrating this with the alarm system isn't jumping out at me.

From a monitoring perspective, I can understand the reason why people have proper ARC monitoring but personally I need to try and keep ongoing costs low so the old system of having a dallier call my brother and I was good, but it would be better if we could also log into the system on the phone, figure out which zone has triggered and if other zones are aso going off. 

Any advice in general on this or alarm system recommendations would be great.

Thanks

I'd be careful with placing the COM-IP directly on the net with port fwd. 

Why do you say this ?   Its no different than any other device onto thee network with port forwarding

Why do you say this ?   Its no different than any other device onto thee network with port forwarding

Not exactly. That's like saying any lock on a door will provide the same level of protection as a lock is a lock, right?

www.securitywarehouse.co.uk/catalog/

Exactly,  That's why I commented what I did. I was always under the impression that the COM-IP traffic was secure  ?

Not exactly. That's like saying any lock on a door will provide the same level of protection as a lock is a lock, right?

What I meant by that was it should be secure enough if its setup right and the network is nailed down correctly, not leaving a door open enywhere

Archived