Security Installer Community

RENTOKILL INITIAL

Nothing wrong with attention to detail. :)

I'm fussy myself about how things should be done and we've all found "Niggles" with systems installed by others.

On the other hand, I've seem some superb installs. Some of them very large and complex systems.

at the end of the day quality takes time, lack of quality costs money...

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

at the end of the day quality takes time, lack of quality costs money...

Cant agree more, just wish managers of some companies would as well. From past experience, some firms arent worried about standards, rather they want it 'banged in' so they can invoice.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

• 1 month later...

Just a quick one regarding the intruder and fire alarm mix.

I dont think its anything to worry about. All that will be happening is that security guys will do resets and change break glasses and fire guys will do resets on intruder for subscriber errors.Why r people scarred of change??

As to all quiting your job. I dont think it would look good for the next one. Especially if they put on ya reference as a trouble maker.

Wot happens when your new company wants change, jump again. It seems alot of engineers go around in circles.

I worked for inital for 6 yrs nearly and if it wasnt for callout i would still be there. The equipment they use is good, the earning potential is good.The way they mix the install and service is good as engineers get to build relationships and jobs get known to all rather than one engineer looking after it, sure its ok but wot happens when that engineer leaves or goes sick.

The jobs that initial get are 95% ok, a lot of national account work. In and out jobs. Sure they lack in training, badly, but if u got got your own inicative wots wrong with using your head or reading the manual.

To many like to pick the fone up and cry.

chris

isc systems ltd

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Just a quick one regarding the intruder and fire alarm mix.

I dont think its anything to worry about. All that will be happening is that security guys will do resets and change break glasses and fire guys will do resets on intruder for subscriber errors.

i heard that al that is happening is that the regional intruder branches are going to be doing alot of the small service work and stand alone systems etc leaving the fire guys who arent as regional to look after the big jobs and faults and commissioning etc aswell as the gas systems, no talk of fire guys playing with intruder

• 2 weeks later...

What the previous post said is right. Initial intruder guys will service little conventional systems in shop units at the same time as the intruder. Real 30 minute jobs. They wont be involved with the larger jobs. As an engineer that has worked extensively in both fields i do think it is not the right thing to do. They will have us changing tampon machines and watering plants next. Both these jobs are skilled with both having quirks that only experience can provide. I am sure however, that the intruder guys will do a super job as the majority of them are competent and experienced engineers.

PS FIRE ROOOOLS

What the previous post said is right. Initial intruder guys will service little conventional systems in shop units at the same time as the intruder. Real 30 minute jobs. They wont be involved with the larger jobs. As an engineer that has worked extensively in both fields i do think it is not the right thing to do. They will have us changing tampon machines and watering plants next. Both these jobs are skilled with both having quirks that only experience can provide. I am sure however, that the intruder guys will do a super job as the majority of them are competent and experienced engineers.

PS FIRE ROOOOLS

32715[/snapback]

Right on mate :D cant wait for the phone calls from the intruder guys if they get asked to nip to an addressable system cos some of them in our area r swines, however to be honest i have faith in the guys as they arent hard to work round if they used to programming intruder panels

Archived