Security Installer Community

Different types of engineers

Deltaseven

Where I began working in this industry (Zimbabwe), an Alarms engineer was an Alarms engineer, and would do the installation, any routine maintenance and any service calls on the alarm (and sometimes, the survey and quote too).

Now that works well, but I can see the advantages to splitting engineers into Install, Service and Maintenance. (I am a service engineer, and know that I can't install a system nearly as fast as any of our install guys. But they trail behind me in troubleshooting.) We have a few engineers who are mainly focused in one area, but can help out in others if necessary, but we also have one or two who are soley maintenance (or service, or install).

How are the engineers in other firms split? Is there a tendancy for clear lines between the disciplines? Or is there room for a little diversity?

Theres only 3 off us and we all have our main areas but to be honest we all do everything. Quoting, Install, Services, Maintenance, etc etc.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

We have several departments.

sales, install, service and so on.

I almost exclusively service and repair.

It's the rare occasion I have to install anything and if i do install it's usually small stuff like a panel swap or some simlar thing.

I'm not the fastest engineer on the firm by a long way and it's a very long time since I was installing on a regular basis.

Our install crew could blind me with speed and technique and i'm usually suitably impressed with how they have managed to route cables and the short amount of time they have taken to do the install in the first place.

Service is a more challenging role in my eyes, keeping up to speed with developments and changes, as well as having extensive knowledge on the older systems keeps my mind sharp. (the forum keeps my tounge sharp :P )

It is funny though, showing some of the install apprentices panels that are older than themselves :lol:

I'm not sure i'd easily be able to cross back over to the "Dark side" of install as I struggle to carry this heavy terminal driver, never mind a full toolkit :ph34r:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

We have 3 departments, Install, Routine Maintenance and Faults/Extra works. I was installing until 1 year ago, but Im getting on a bit now and break into extreme sweats when I have to work hard. Bearing this in mind I moved to Faults/Extra works. I couldnt do routine maintenance all the time, my brain would stop working and Id die of boredom.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest Rapid Racer

I'm nearly always installing although several times during the month i'll find myself servicing or on faults/extras, which is good as it breaks up the routine.

We've got 2 'older' guys who will only do service, but generally everybody does everything.

As a company we do Intruder, Fire, CCTV, Access, etc so naturally there are engineers who are more experienced in some areas, than others.

Personnaly i'd hate to get stuck doing the same thing day in day out.

I know i'd never survive an office job. !!

I think it's good for a company to have all round engineers, but I believe they are hard to find :)

I don't profess to be an expert on any field (except maybe, sitting in my chair) but I do have a basic/sound knowledge in all fields, service and install. That's what my company were looking for. At my company, we are split by install and service but not by equipment. Occasionally, service does some install and vice versa. This is welcomed by some engineers and not by others. Personally, I like to have a change now and again.

If you don't know......ask.

There is 4 of us + one in sales + MD + some subbies we use for cabling etc..

Generally everybody does everything, but we all have some specialities since we also do ba, fire, cctv, ac, etc.

so we don't have any real splitting and everybody (of us 4) has install/service in his ID, except me. I have empty title because I have to solve whatever others don't have time to.

Maybe I should print GENERAL in my business card :lol: ?'

I would say D7 that if everybody in your company is happy with situation, I wouldn't do any chances. What I have noticed, almost all pro's in this security business are very proud of their profession and professionality. As long as these people working in our companies have possibilities to develop themselves they stay happy.

Archived