Security Installer Community

Getting into the Fire Alarm trade

antinode

Hi everyone,

I had a quick scout round the other forums, but this seems to be the best place for this type of question. I'm just wondering if any of you have any info on how i'd get into installing an maintaining fire alarm system and stuff? I'd need to be trained first, of course. I don't think my local college has anything like this, although I've heard about apprenticeships, so maybe I can get into something that way. Would it be a good idea to ring around a couple of local installers to see if they'd take me on as an apprentice? I'm really not sure on how i'd "kick start" the whole thing. I have some good electrical knowledge (installing sockets, light fittings. I'm fairly sure I could rewire a house safely) and I have a good knowledge of burglar alarm systems, so I'm not starting from the first page. Any advice? I'm from Wigan, in Greater Manchester, so ideally, it'd be something around this area.

cheers guys!

Trade Member

Give TK Consultants a ring , they are in Hindley Green and are a training provider, they will be able to give more direction as to what is available in the local area.

T K Consultants

Unit 3, Old Skill Centre, Wigan, WN2 4HD

01942-256666

Be very careful what training (if any) you take from this company.Find out who is actually teaching you on the course and make sure they know what they are talking about. :angry:

If you want fire alarm training get in contact with the BFPSA British Fire Protection System Association. 020 8549 5855. If you pass 75% of the test you get a BFPSA training certificate not just a certificate of attendance. :yes:

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Be very careful what training (if any) you take from this company.Find out who is actually teaching you on the course and make sure they know what they are talking about. 

I would agree. Same goes for any training Company.

To clarify my post, the school of thought was to pick their brains as they are in your area, rather than do a course. NO Week long course makes you an engineer, it takes years of trainging both on and off the job and its an never ending process.

I would still give them a call and as Adi said BFPSA is another source of information.

If you end up with a few options feel free to come back and discuss them on the forums, there are a lot of Fire Engineers on the forums.

Colin.

Alright colin

I agree that experience counts for a great deal and we are always learning and i agree that you couldnt become an engineer or installer having gone on a weeks course especially with no practical experience, cabling, building layouts, site working and all the associated regs ect...

I think the best way is both classroom and site.

As for picking brains, how can u pick brains if they dont have any?

The reason i said BFPSA is that they are nationally known company with some respect.

Steady Adi,

As for picking brains, how can u pick brains if they dont have any?

That a bit slanderous and you never know who is rading these posts, if you have had a bad expierience then tell all in the trade section. There are lots of people out there who will disagree with you on the TK courses. Its just like the big alarm companies one unhappy customer doesn't mean all they do is wrong.

As I said its best to do the research and come back and ask everyones opinion of the best route to go.

Morning Colin,

I will if i get in the trade section.

It was just my opinion and with the greatest respect thought i was allowed to give.

With out going into to much detail they employ the trainers to teach the pupil, so if they employ someone who doesn't know what there on with and cant answer basic questions then it is they who should be accountable. I feel very strongly about this subject especially for the other lads on the course which without blowing me own trumpet and without being disrespectful to the other lads weren't as clever or should i say knowledgable, weren't learning and possibly being misled.

Having said that i did take a different course there that was sub contracted out to a consultant, to which i couldnt fault.

As for slanderous i was stating the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Like we both agree research and find out what the score is and come back to the forum for a chat and more info ect...

Im not one of lifes whingers, honest. Just get wound up now and again.

Off 4 me brekky now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived