Security Installer Community

ADE Concept System

Adam9999

Hi,

I'm new here, so please bear with me :) 

I have just moved into a house with an Concept System alarm, I know nothing about alarms, so could anyone tell me:

How old it is?

How much electricity do alarms use?

Would it be worth getting the system removed?

Who made the Concept System?

And are there any spares, incase it is old and things go wrong? 

The keypad just says 'DAY' and 'POWER', the main box which says Concept System on it, it has a 'POWER' light on too, it makes a 

quiet buzzing sound, is this normal? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi Adam

10-15 years

Not much electricity, much less than your fridge

Not sure what you mean by getting it removed people pay hundreds of £'s to have security in their house why would you want to remove it?

ADE

The detection and ancillaries would be compatible with many hard wired alarm systems available on the market today

The keypad is saying that everything is fine, the noise you can hear from the main box is the transformer.

I would advise that you get the system serviced, the person servicing it should be able to default the codes and show you how to reprogram a new one, depending on the last time it was serviced it may need a new battery, the fact that it is showing day and power is good, the transformer noise could be that the battery is drawing too much current, or it may just be a noisy transformer, hard to tell remotely.  Alternately you could just ask someone to quote to update the system. 

10 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Hi Adam

10-15 years

Not much electricity, much less than your fridge

Not sure what you mean by getting it removed people pay hundreds of £'s to have security in their house why would you want to remove it?

ADE

The detection and ancillaries would be compatible with many hard wired alarm systems available on the market today

The keypad is saying that everything is fine, the noise you can hear from the main box is the transformer.

I would advise that you get the system serviced, the person servicing it should be able to default the codes and show you how to reprogram a new one, depending on the last time it was serviced it may need a new battery, the fact that it is showing day and power is good, the transformer noise could be that the battery is drawing too much current, or it may just be a noisy transformer, hard to tell remotely.  Alternately you could just ask someone to quote to update the system. 

Hi, thanks for replying to my post. 

Is that old for a burglar alarm? the Keypad is a little yellowed, I guess that is the UV from the sun reacting with the plastic. I was wondering about a new panel because I have read on another forum, DIY NOT that they were cheap junk, so I was just curious. The main control box is very hot, towards the top right, and has left black heat marks on the wall above it, which worried me. Do ADE still make this alarm? The box outside is totally dead, it has 4 vents each side, and a big hole in it, you can see what looks like a small circuit board, and a big black siren horn thing. I am guessing the box is dead and beyond repair 

Its old but serviceable, they were cheaper panels but not as junky as many other panels out there. The panel being hot is another sign that the battery is gone the transformer is being overworked. ADE sold to Honeywell a few years back. How do you know the external sounder is dead? Though it does sound like its very old, still on the up side the wiring is all in place.  

24 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

Its old but serviceable, they were cheaper panels but not as junky as many other panels out there. The panel being hot is another sign that the battery is gone the transformer is being overworked. ADE sold to Honeywell a few years back. How do you know the external sounder is dead? Though it does sound like its very old, still on the up side the wiring is all in place.  

Good to know it is serviceable, I see, well, my parents have an Optima XM from the early 1990s, it gets used every day, is that made by ADE too? Just thinking about it there, and from memory, the XM case and the Concept case seem to be the same. What sort of battery do these alarms take? 9v? I'll have a go at changing the battery myself, it can't be that hard, surely. Well, it was a  guess that the external sounder is dead, but by the looks of it, it is dead, what is the little bit of circuit board in it, connected to the siren? Does this also have a battery that needs changing? Oh, yes, I have herd of Honeywell, they make thermostats and the like, would what looks like an Accenta work with the Concept main panel? It was also make by ADE, from what I can see on Google. 

1 minute ago, Adam9999 said:

Good to know it is serviceable, I see, well, my parents have an Optima XM from the early 1990s, it gets used every day, is that made by ADE too? Just thinking about it there, and from memory, the XM case and the Concept case seem to be the same. What sort of battery do these alarms take? 9v? I'll have a go at changing the battery myself, it can't be that hard, surely. Well, it was a  guess that the external sounder is dead, but by the looks of it, it is dead, what is the little bit of circuit board in it, connected to the siren? Does this also have a battery that needs changing? Oh, yes, I have herd of Honeywell, they make thermostats and the like, would what looks like an Accenta work with the Concept main panel? It was also make by ADE, from what I can see on Google. 

Geezer seriously if you can afford to scrap it and don't waste time it will be a good investment on something more Upto date

2 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

Geezer seriously if you can afford to scrap it and don't waste time it will be a good investment on something more Upto date

Problem is, I'm a student, and I really cannot afford it, not even £50 for a new alarm, I just wanted to know more about it, so then I'll be able to use it, for piece of mind. 

It is easy to change the battery, the problem is, if the battery has been past its best for too long it may well have damaged the charging circuit. There is no easy way for you to check this without a multi meter and knowing what to look for. The battery will be 12v 2.1Ah or 3.4Ah either would be suitable replacements  

14 hours ago, PeterJames said:

It is easy to change the battery, the problem is, if the battery has been past its best for too long it may well have damaged the charging circuit. There is no easy way for you to check this without a multi meter and knowing what to look for. The battery will be 12v 2.1Ah or 3.4Ah either would be suitable replacements  

Thank you for your help, I will order a battery for the alarm, and hopefully that will make it work. I have a code which I would like to change to my own, since the keys on the keypad have all worn off, around the old code. 

Thanks everybody for your help, If it doesn't work after that, or continues to buzz very loudly, I'll call a local alarm company, how much would a service cost? roughly.