Security Installer Community

Sending out CV's

antinode

Hey guys. Basically, I've finally settled on what I want to do for a career (you guessed it: installing burglar alarms). The difficult bit is just ahead. I've had a look around, and currently, there are no job vacancies in my area. Someone suggested I send a copy of my Cv out along with a covering letter, to various companies. Obviously, I'll give it a go, but what do you reckon my chances are of finding someone who'll take me onboard? Do any of you guys get CV's out of nowhere like this? I don't have a great deal of experience in the area, all though I do know quite alot already, and I'm keen enough to learn. I'd be happy enough working in return for training aslong as my expenses were covered, and ideally, there'd be a job at the end of it if I did OK. I know its a long shot, but there's not much else, unless I waited to go back to college in September, which is a bit too far away at the moment. I've attatched a copy of my CV. cheers!

Trade Member

Hi Antinode

Do you have a clean driving licence? If so you should mention it on your CV.

I had a look over your CV and I have a few suggestions for you.

1. Remove the personal information section and put the extra info in the boxes at the top.

2. Move personal information to the top.

3. Add a section called Key Skills under the personal info, state computer skills, existing security related knowledge and anything else you can think of that would be relevent to your working life.

4. For the references just put telecom security as a reference and add

additional references available on request

Then try and get it onto one page only.

You could also send your CV to recruitment agencies online, and state your looking for a trainee security engineer position.

Some to try are;

HJA recruitment

Security vacancies

Security Personnel

Google for companies in your area if you haven't also.

You should look to start on about £14,000 rising to £16,000 after a year or two of training. Im sure others here can give you more of an idea.

Concentrate on doing tidy installs and take pride in your work. Look to move into a service position as soon as possible but never neglect your installations.

Pay attention and gather as much info together as you can and dont be affraid to ask questions even if they do sound stupid.

I think you will do well, you are obviously very keen, It may be worth getting more information from different areas of the field, for example;

Domestic alarm engineers

Commercial alarm engineers

CCTV

Fire

Access

I have always worked in commercial buildings and would be less keen working in peoples homes.

Im sure if someone on this forum working near your area would definately see you if they had a position open.

Best of luck

Fella, even if your half decent and have your head screwed on, you will have no problems finding a job in this industry. Certainly down in this part of the world engineers who arent complete incompetant monkeys are few and far between.

Ok some companies may balk at having to train you, but we've just taken on a guy whos just come out the army and he's picked it up really fast so if you can convince them your keen and put in the effort to do a good job, you should have no problems getting in.

34083[/snapback]

Totally, there really are some morons about.

Totally, there really are some morons about.

34088[/snapback]

A co. took over one of our alarms yesterday (without telling us) they brought the police out three times on the PA. When i eventualy spoke with one of the directors he said he had been told by the customer it was bells only. I asked had'nt the engineers noticed the Red Care Block terminal or had they not realised after the first Police call, Answer "I employ idiots for installation work". :no:

Jef

Customers!

Hmm, wonder if that was the same bunch that I came across in that general area. Gang of muppets to bodge the new system in, taking twice as long as it should have taken and then one bloke with half an idea for half a day at the end of the job to set the time.

Hi Antinode

Do you have a clean driving licence? If so you should mention it on your CV.

I had a look over your CV and I have a few suggestions for you.

1. Remove the personal information section and put the extra info in the boxes at the top.

2. Move personal information to the top.

3. Add a section called Key Skills under the personal info, state computer skills, existing security related knowledge  and anything else you can think of that would be relevent to your working life.

4. For the references just put telecom security as a reference and add

additional references available on request

Then try and get it onto one page only.

Agreed. You might also want to run it through a spell-checker! initiatve

You might also want to include precise details of the grades you got for English, Maths and Science GCSE's - though summarising the rest is usually fine, people are generally only interested in the former.

Otherwise it's looking ok - good luck finding a job!

A co. took over one of our alarms yesterday (without telling us) they brought the police out three times on the PA. When i eventualy spoke with one of the directors he said he had been told by the customer it was bells only. I asked had'nt the engineers noticed the Red Care Block terminal or had they not realised after the first Police call, Answer "I employ idiots for installation work". :no:

Jef

34186[/snapback]

Come on Jeff, let us know, you can tell me, I'll keep it quiet!

Come on Jeff, let us know, you can tell me, I'll keep it quiet!

34518[/snapback]

Can't, erhh Wont say. I thought they would be a small Co! No NACOSS GOLD with 7500 systems to boot. i got the Police off responce letter yesterday. I don't think this effects my performance stats as this is no longer my customer. (ill check that tommorow).

Jef

Customers!

Archived