Security Installer Community

Sending out CV's

antinode

Hi There,

I was in exactly the same position a few months ago. I would suggest trying for an apprenticeship where you will get good training but also proper qualifications to boot which will stand you in good stead for later employment. I would say that the £14,000 for first year going up to £16,000 on the second is a little unrealistic in my experience, but I might have been looking in the wrong places!!

Initial do a very good apprenticeship, Although you might have to wait until next September to start. Have a look here for more info. IES Apprenticeship

All the best

Tom

Hey guys. Basically, I've finally settled on what I want to do for a career (you guessed it: installing burglar alarms). The difficult bit is just ahead. I've had a look around, and currently, there are no job vacancies in my area. Someone suggested I send a copy of my Cv out along with a covering letter, to various companies. Obviously, I'll give it a go, but what do you reckon my chances are of finding someone who'll take me onboard? Do any of you guys get CV's out of nowhere like this? I don't have a great deal of experience in the area, all though I do know quite alot already, and I'm keen enough to learn. I'd be happy enough working in return for training aslong as my expenses were covered, and ideally, there'd be a job at the end of it if I did OK. I know its a long shot, but there's not much else, unless I waited to go back to college in September, which is a bit too far away at the moment. I've attatched a copy of my CV. cheers!

34069[/snapback]

as long as you can spell your name try INITIAL.

Hi There,

I was in exactly the same position a few months ago. I would suggest trying for an apprenticeship where you will get good training but also proper qualifications to boot which will stand you in good stead for later employment. I would say that the £14,000 for first year going up to £16,000 on the second is a little unrealistic in my experience, but I might have been looking in the wrong places!!

Initial do a very good apprenticeship, Although you might have to wait until next September to start. Have a look here for more info. IES Apprenticeship

All the best

Tom

35131[/snapback]

Thanks for that :) I filled out the application, so we'll see what happens with that. Out of curiosity, how are you finding it? What kinda things are you doing etc?

I amended my CV, and I sent it out to a few "big" local companies, but no replys as of yet. I'll give it a few more weeks as it's christmas, and then I suppose I'll have to look further afield.

Trade Member

Good luck Antinode with finding an apprenticeship! I work for a wholesale Company in the security department and install electronic security equipment for seven years now. I am looking for a new challange in this field and send out my CV to several companies in the last two weeks but hardly get any response. But I also think it´s christmas time now and we hopefully find something in the near future after christmas :rolleyes:

OK, bye for now...

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Alex

cheers,

Alex

No Probs Antinode,

I like it actually. Good bunch of guys and pay is not too bad if you can do a little overtime. They also pay a "travel allowance" if you go over a certain distance from the office and you get a meal allowance of approx. £6 per day which you don't get in pay, but you get taken off tax which is nice and they are also quite good with claiming money back for travel etc.

The work is enjoyable.. especially if you can establish a good relationship with the engineers. Training is via 4 "week long" residential training sessions per year as well as on the job training and some "coursework" and field evidence reports. The written work is not that intensive if you don't let it build up but will obviously get harder as you progress through the years.

The apprenticeship lasts for 3.5 years with the pay increasing yearly. Well worth going for as I don't think many of the big companies do a course like it.

Best of Luck with whatever you do

Tom

have you sent a cv to //.National Installer.//?? they do a great apprentice scheme where they train you up to sparky level complete with c&g 236 give em a try..ive seen kids(well im getting on)on £17k and company car when they are 18/19 which is good for that age and out their time...

good luck

• 3 weeks later...

you sound familiar to me,gaz;-).

//.National Installer.// arent bad to work for really but if you could get a start at a small firm you will get to a bigger variety of work while youre learning,an advantage i have never found with any bigger firm,security or otherwise.but if you want to do intruder and nothing else //.National Installer.// would probably be best choice

Trade Member

• 2 weeks later...

B) When I left the RAF (after 13 years) in 1998 i completed a 6 week course on intruder alarms. I then sent CV's to every alarm company within 50 miles of my home. (all except one as I didn't like their yellow pages add)

Most of the big companys didn't respond at all, A lot of the smaller ones sent letters back saying they will keep my details on file for the day they exspand.

The funny part was I went into the office of the company that I didn't apply to to see if I could get a lid screw for my bell box. (I lost it) I ended up in an interview there and then as the owner had been sent my CV from someone else in the industry.

I got the job, it lasted for 3 months then I got made redundant due to a lack of work.

The thing is it helped me to get my food in the door.

tip: follow up with a phone call to the companys you send your CV to, If possible dont let them do all the asking of questions, try to use that time on the phone to find out what you can about the job and company. If they say thank you we have put it on file for future referance. See if you can ask some question about the company then and write down the results it may come in handy at a later date.

It worked for me

Adrian B)

Archived